fifty-one

Exams came and went, soon it was the end of our sixth year. Everyone around us worried about their exams while I worried about the foreboding event that was bound to happen by the end of the week.

But Draco and I had backup plan after backup plan for that. Between ordering Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder to buying the Hand of Glory off of Borgin, we were as prepared as we could be. Coded owls flew in for Draco and me from different Death Eaters for information about the castle. It wasn't until Sunday evening that I heard something wonderful.

"Draco, it has to be tonight," I said hastily as I ran into his dormitory.

Crabbe, Goyle, and Blaise were sitting near the fireplace in the Slytherin common room, so I knew he was alone.

"What?" he said, sitting up from his book. "We have four more days left of term. I thought it was going to be Thursday?"

"No, Dumbledore won't be at the castle until tomorrow morning."

"How do you know that?" Draco sat up in interest.

"Professor McGonagall seems to hide her worries really bad," I scoffed. "I was walking and reading, as I usually do when I heard her talking with Professor Flitwick about the absence of our lovely Headmaster."

"Really?" he breathed, standing up.

"If we do it tonight, then we can all bombard him. Reckon he'll come straight under the Dark Mark, yeah? I don't see why someone won't cast it if they plan over overtaking the castle. It's really smart, actually. Then—"

"Why are you so excited about this?" Draco's brows furrowed in confusion. "You were crying about hurting a girl less than two weeks ago and now you're pacing around like a puppy."

My face contorted at his tone. Did he truly not get it?

"Don't you see, Draco?" I said softly, grabbing his hand. "Once this is over, you won't be in danger anymore— we won't have our death sentences held over our heads. W-We won't have to live in fear..."

"Adelaide, do you think it's that simple?" he squeezed my hands in comfort.

"Once we do this, we will be in the Dark Lord's favour. We won't have to be afraid to die by his wand. Y-Your family will be pardoned and in his good graces," I smiled.

"Let's go," he decided.

It was nearly half-nine when we got to the Room of Hidden Things. Finding the Vanishing Cabinet became second nature as we practically lived in the room. Draco pulled the blue blanket off the aged piece of furniture for the last time.

We stared at the monolith before us and slowly lifted our wands to the wood. With a great deep breath, we began to chant "Harmonia Nectere Passus." The surface of the cabinet glimmered, a tremble in the ambient light. Almost alive. Draco grabbed my hand and we lowered our wands.

The passage was opened.

More light came through the wardrobe and the cabinet door swung open as multiple Death Eaters stepped out of the Vanishing Cabinet.

"You both have done lovely," the stocky little woman smirked.

Six people walked through the passage, Draco and I mended, and into the Room of Hidden Things. As the last person came into the room, the cabinet door closed. He walked forward with a wolfish smirk and handed me a large shrivelled hand.

"As you wished, Adelaide Ward," Fenrir Greyback said.

"Do you have to powder, Draco?" I ignored the way Greyback's eyes racked my body and turned to Draco.