nine

December quickly came around and welcomed us with a snowy blizzard. Waking up the first day of holidays, I looked out my window to see the cold lake water barely moving. Instead of a normal view of the land, the Slytherin common room and dormitories have the view of Black Lake, not giving us any view of the winter morning. I instantly knew it was snow-filled as the dungeons were colder than usual.

Pansy left for the holidays while Draco stayed, unlike last year. The Malfoys had to go out of the country for some business so he had to stay here with me. A lot more Slytherins stayed than last year, making me not feel as lonely as usual.

"My mother told me to expect an owl for you at the owlery," Draco told me as he sat down next to me.

"What for?" I asked carelessly.

"Your birthday," said Draco.

This stopped my motion of pouring myself beef stew. Slowly, I turned to Draco who held angry eyes.

"I— er—"

"Why did you not tell me your birthday is the day after Christmas?" Draco asked.

"I didn't want to celebrate it," I admitted.

"Well, Mum is going to send you a parcel for your birthday," Draco said as he served himself dinner.

I only nodded in response as Crabbe and Goyle began to stuff their faces with food and sweets. Those two boys seemed to only eat and eat, nothing more.

"Do you blokes ever get tired of eating so many sweets?" I asked, wrinkling my nose.

"No," Crabbe said, stuffing a cake into his mouth.

"Merlin," I groaned, scooping a few bites of stew into my mouth.

After a few minutes, Crabbe and Goyle left with arms full of different pastries and cookies.

"Why do you keep company with those boys?" I asked Draco, watching them leave.

"They're funny sometimes when they're not complaining about homework or stuffing their faces," Draco laughed.

"Well, they'll be back any moment and I don't want to be here when they do," I said. "They always make me whoozy when they stuff their faces like that."

Draco laughed at me as I walked out of the Great Hall and around the school. About fifteen minutes of walking, I turned the corner to see one of the Gryffindor Weasley boys chatting with Crabbe and Goyle.

"Weasley, yeah?" I called looking at the redhead.

He turned around and I couldn't pinpoint which one it was, but knew it, obviously, wasn't the girl or Harry's friend.

"Yeah, Percy Weasley. Gryffindor Prefect," he said, puffing out his chest.

"Well, Gryffindor Prefect, what are you doing walking the Slytherin Dungeons?" I sniggered. "Should I get Monroe? Or maybe Clearwater?"

Percy's face flushed a bit at my insinuation and I bit my tongue to not laugh. Crabbe and Goyle gave me funny looks and I shook my head.

"Well, get off to your dormitories," said Weasley sternly. "It's not safe to go wandering around dark corridors these days."

"You are," Crabbe pointed out.

"I," said Weasley, drawing himself up, "am a prefect. Nothing's about to attack me."

"Lady?" Draco said from behind the boys.

"I found these two down here," I pointed at them, "with one of the Weasleys."