five

Why did it make sense that Harry Potter saved the school and his friends from something in the third-floor corridor? The one place where one would suffer a most painful death if they were to go?

According to the talk of the school, Harry and his friends were in the Hospital Wing after cheating the death they were supposed to meet for going into that corridor. Draco, Pansy, and I spoke about how infuriating those three were. You'd expect them to get expelled for breaking almost every rule that Hogwarts have set, yet they barely got a tap on the hand for their rulebreaking. But besides that, I was particularly happy. Slytherin won the house cup this year, and apparently for the seventh year in a row.

The Great Hall looked beautiful. It was decked out in the Slytherin colors of green and silver to celebrate our win. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covered the wall behind the High Table. The five of us cheered and spoke amongst ourselves as our luck was the best when it came to house points, thank Merlin!

But as soon as Harry walked into the Hall, there was a sudden hush. I scoffed at the Hall's stupid god complex they held over Harry and continued my loud conversation with Draco about our summer plans; everybody started talking loudly once more. He made his way over to the Gryffindor Table and was covered by numerous students trying to get a look of him, I was not one of them.

"Well, Gryffindor may have their blessed Potter back, but at least we have—"

Pansy was cut off my Dumbledore's entrance. The babble died away.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully to the crowd of students in the Great Hall. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts....

"Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy- two."

A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table. Draco and I banged our goblets on the table, truly proud of our feat.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," said Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room went very still. The Slytherins' smiles faded a little and an instant scowl fell on my face. What is this old man planning...

"Ahem," said Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes...

"First — to Mr. Ronald Weasley for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house twenty-five points."

Gryffindor cheers nearly raised the bewitched ceiling; the stars overhead seemed to quiver. Percy Weasley could be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"

At last there was silence again.

"Second — to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of swift reasoning in the face of fear and terror, I award Gryffindor house twenty-five points."

Gryffindors up and down the table were beside themselves — they were fifty points up.

"Third— to Miss Iverson Kemper... for the use of cool logic in the face of literal fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

"No bloody way," I sneered through my teeth.

"Finally— to Mr. Harry Potter..." said Dumbledore. The room went deadly quiet. "...for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points."