four

"Draco Malfoy, it will do you to remember that I want to not be expelled from Hogwarts! You're lucky all we got was detention," I shouted at him as I rubbed my sore ear.

Earlier in the week, Draco overheard Harry, Weasley, Granger, and Kemper talking about a dragon that Hagrid, the gamekeeper, had in his little hut. And somehow, by the grace of Merlin himself, Draco convinced me to help him get the little tetrad into trouble. A lot good that did.

Draco and I spent almost thirty minutes searching for the tetrad only to get caught by Professor McGonagall. She wore a tartan bathrobe and hair net as she came around the corner faster than we could hide behind a pillar. Her stern eyes narrowed at us as she grabbed our ears.

"Detention!" she shouted. "And ten points from Slytherin for each of you! Wandering around in the middle of the night, how dare you—"

"You don't understand, Professor. Harry Potter's coming— he's got a dragon!" Draco cried.

"What utter rubbish! How dare you tell such lies! Come on— I shall see Professor Snape about you both!"

"He's not lying, Professor! It's Harry Potter and the Kemper girl," I defended him.

"To your Head of House," McGonagall did not falter.

Draco and I left Professor Snape's office with a detention that will be set sometime later in the week. The following morning, notes were delivered to Draco and me. They were both the same:

Your detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight. Meet Mr Filch in the entrance hall.

Professor Snape

"You're lucky your company is somewhat enjoyable," I mumbled to Draco. The two numbskulls and Pansy didn't dare ask any questions at my and Draco's stony faces.

At eleven o'clock that night, Draco and I made our way to the entrance hall where Filch was waiting for us. Harry, Granger, Weasley, and Kemper soon came down the stairs towards the entrance hall where Draco and I stood. Harry looked surprised when he saw us and then deflated slightly.

"Follow me," said Filch, lighting a lamp and leading us outside. "I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you, eh?" he said, leering at us. "Oh yes... hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me... It's just a pity they let the old punishments die out... hang you by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well oiled in case they're ever needed... Right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you if you do."

The moon was bright, but clouds scudding across it kept throwing them into darkness. Ahead, I could see the lighted windows of the gatekeeper's hut. Then I heard a distant shout.

"Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started."

Harry seemed to be slightly relieved for Merlin knows why and Filch said, "I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with that oaf? Well, think again, boy— it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece."

At this, Weasley let out a little moan, and Draco grabbed my wrist, stopping us dead in our tracks.

"The forest?" Draco repeated, and he didn't sound quite as cool as usual. "We can't go in there at night — there's all sorts of things in there — werewolves, I heard."

"That's your problem, isn't it?" said Filch, his voice cracking with glee. "Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn't you?"

Hagrid came striding toward us out of the dark, Fang at his heel. He was carrying his large crossbow, and a quiver of arrows hung over his shoulder.