forty

Never did I think that releasing Luna would cause the downfall of so many Slytherin families. All of my friends' parents, at least one of the pair, have been sentenced to Azkaban because the Dark Lord is back. Draco's father, Lucius Malfoy, was one of the Death Eaters that had been caught at the Ministry and sent to Azkaban.

Anger and fear and pity all sat in my chest, no sign of happiness or pride as it was the end of term. Pansy sulked in her room after she had read the Daily Prophet and vowed to avenge her father. Draco and I stayed together, not straying from one another, as we were all each other had. I felt bad for Narcissa as most likely she lay in bed, alone, without her husband.

All Draco spoke about, much like Pansy, was how he was going to avenge his father's capture. I stayed quiet, feeling partly guilty for his arrest. But I let no one look at Draco in any way, quickly threatened to jinx or hex them as I had no longer the power to take House points left and right; Umbridge was at St Mungos recovering from shock, from in the forest, and Dumbledore was back.

Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and I made our way from the common room towards the Hall to have lunch when my eyes met the emerald green ones of Harry Potter. The five of us stopped in our path and stared at each other. For a few moments, the only sounds were the shouts, laughter, and splashes drifting into the hall from the grounds through the open front doors.

I glanced around, checking for signs of teachers. My face fell in a sharp, stern look I learned from Narcissa and said in a low voice, "You're dead, Potter."

Draco stepped up next to me, holding his ground and my own. Harry only raised his eybrows.

"Funny," he said, "you'd think I'd have stopped walking around..."

From beside me, I could feel Draco's shaking fury.

"You're going to pay," said Draco in a voice barely louder than a whisper. "I'm going to make you pay for what you've done to my father..."

"Well, I'm terrified now," said Harry sarcastically. "I s'pose Lord Voldemort's just a warm-up act compared to you four — what's the matter?" he said, for Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle had all looked stricken at the sound of the name. "He's your dad's mate, isn't he? Not scared of him, are you?"

"You think you're such a big man, Harry Potter," I said, advancing now, Crabbe and Goyle stepping in my spot as I inched my way towards Harry. "You wait. We'll have you. You can't land Draco's father in prison —"

"I thought I just had," said Harry.

"The dementors have left Azkaban," added Draco quietly. "Dad and the others'll be out in no time..."

"Yeah, I expect they will," said Harry. "Still, at least everyone knows what scumbags they are now —"

My hand flew to pull my wand out, but Harry was too quick. He had drawn his own wand and pointed it at my face before I fully pulled mine from my sleeve. Draco had also plunged his hands into his robes, but was far slower than the both of us.

"Potter!"

The voice rang across the entrance hall; Professor Snape had emerged from the staircase leading up from the dungeon.

"What are you doing, Potter?" Snape drawled as Draco still shook in rage.

"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy and Ward, sir," said Harry fiercely.

"Put your wand away," he said curtly. "You will have ten points taken from Gryff—"

Snape looked toward the giant hourglasses on the walls and gave a taunting smile.