twenty-two

The entire Slytherin house was making bets on who would win the First Task on the twenty-fourth of November; almost none of them had any confidence in Harry Potter and it made me sad. If he was telling the truth, Harry had not wanted to be in the Tournament in the first place. Sighing, I gave my input of Viktor Krum possibly coming in first being he was in his last year of schooling and had skills of being a Quidditch player on his side.

With no idea of the First Task, Draco and I made our way to the Quidditch Pitch that now sported as a playing field for the First Task. There were added boulders and rocks among the field; Pansy even frantically spoke about how exciting it all seemed when we met her and Blaise at the stands. Most people wore Draco's badges and held banners for Cedric Diggory instead of Harry Potter.

A whistle blew, signaling the start of the tournament. A large double door opened to reveal a huge blue dragon as it walked over to a nest of eggs.

The First Task is dragons, I thought and instantly pitied all of the champions.

The crowd roared as a champion walked out of the tent. Cedric Diggory. I watched as Diggory fought against a Swedish Short-Snout. The silvery-blue dragon watched as Diggory moved around the ditch. A bright blue flame flew out of the dragon's mouth, nearly hitting Diggory, who moved out of the way.

"Oooh, narrow miss there, very narrow," Mr. Bagman, the commentator, noticed.

My friends and I cheered as I sat on the edge of my seat. Drawing his wand out from his bodysuit, Diggory threw a spell. It missed the dragon. My brows furrowed at the action, but then saw a beagle appear in the place of a rock. The Swedish Short-Snout took the bait and turned it's attention to the dog. The crowd roared as Diggory took the distraction to dive towards the Golden Egg.

Halfway towards the egg, the ugly dragon turned its attention back to Diggory. It wailed at the sight of him and blew fire at him. The brilliant blue flame whizzed at Diggory, hitting him. Pansy and I gasped, grabbing ahold of each other in anticipation.

"Clever move— pity it didn't work!"

I narrowed my eyes up at the commenter's box and looked back down to Diggory who threw another spell at the dragon. This time it hit the beast and it wailed. He slowly make his way past the dragon and towards the egg. The Swedish Short-Snout turned towards him but just tilted its head instead of narrowing its gaze towards Diggory. It's blind.

"Whoa, Diggory blinded the dragon!" I exclaimed and turned towards my friends.

"How do you know?" Pansy asked, but her question was lost in the ear piercing cheers of the crowd.

Diggory made it to the Golden Egg and held it above his head like a trophy. A group of Dragon Tamers came over to the dragon and put it to sleep.

Mr. Bagman shouted Diggory's success and called Fleur Delacour to the field. I didn't pay much attention as Draco and Blaise began to talk about how beautiful the Beauxbaton champion was.

"Shut up and watch her fight the dragon," I snapped at them, rolling my eyes.

Looking back at the field, I saw that Fleur had somehow put the dragon to sleep. Slowly, she crept past the dragon.

"Oh I'm not sure that was wise!" Mr Bagman shouting gleefully.

At his words, the Common Welsh Green let out a huff of fire and knocked the end of Fleur's skirt. She shrieked and put it out using a water spell.

"Oh—"

The dragon's tail whipped in the air as it got comfortable again.

—nearly! Careful now," he said quietly, though his voice echoed in the stadium.