twenty-three

"The Yule Ball is approaching," Professor Snape said once he called the entire Slytherin House into the common room. "It is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above— although you may invite a younger student if you wish. Dress robes will be worn and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then —"

Snape stared deliberately around the room.

"The Yule Ball is of course a chance for the girls to let their hair down and the boys to make nice with the girls. But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most most displeased if a Slytherin student embarrasses the school in any way. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," chorused through the entire common room.

"Now, lastly, the Head of House will be having dancing lessons before dinnertime. Although I should be teaching you to dance, I suppose you have better things to do. If you want to learn, ask your peers, but most of you should know already," Snape said, his eyes looking over to where Draco and my friends were standing.

I knew he was referring to the fact that Slytherin is mostly made up of pureblood families that required upmost etiquette and possible dancing lessons for annual balls and dinners. Narcissa even offered to have me partake in dancing lessons this past summer, but ended up having Draco teach me.

"If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask me," said Snape slowly in a voice that suggested to have no questions or ask him at all.

With that, Snape turned around and, with a swish of his black robes, left the common room to his own office.

"Excited to dance?" I asked Pansy.

"More excited for a Yule Ball date," she said airily and looked over to where Draco and Blaise were sniggering about the nervous looking third years.

I had never known so many people to put their names down to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas; this was the third time I would be staying at Hogwarts. This year, however, everyone in the fourth year and above seemed to be staying, and they all seemed to be obsessed with the upcoming ball. Walking around the castle was never something I had trouble doing, but thanks to the ball, I was stopped my many boys asking me to the balls. Not only did the boys stare, but the girls giggled and whispering in the corridors, shrieking with laughter as boys passed them, girls excitedly comparing notes on what they were going to wear on Christmas night.

"Have anyone in mind that you'd like to ask?" I casually asked Draco as we made our way back from Ancient Runes.

"Hm, possibly Pansy or one of the Greengrass sisters," Draco said absentmindedly. "Anyone you're hoping will ask you?"

"Hopefully a champion as it would look good to have one of them on my arm," I said smugly and from the corner of my eye, I saw Draco shoot me an unreadable look, "but I don't know, possibly Blaise, he's quite nice."

"Blaise is going with Pansy," said Draco. "Didn't she tell you?"

I frowned a little, "no, she didn't. I'll have to ask her about that."

Draco and I walked in silence as we made it into the entrance hall to go into the Great Hall for lunch.

"Hey," Draco said suddenly, grabbing my arm to stop me from going into the Hall, "I just had an idea! What if you and me go together?"

"Why would I do that?" I said in shock. At Draco's slightly shocked face, I added quickly, "I mean, it's not the worst —"

"As friends, of course," Draco butted in. "You're my best friend and I haven't a clue who to actually ask and no one has asked you..."