twenty

Earlier this morning, Professor Snape scolded all of us to be the best-behaved students we could be. Before our dinner, tonight, the students of Beauxbaton and Durmstrang were to come for the Triwizard Tournament as it was the thirtieth of October.

Pansy was set on brushing my hair and added a few applications of some muggle makeup she bought over the summer. We were told to wear our full Hogwarts robes meaning tie and all. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle waited for Pansy and me in the common room so we could all make it downstairs to the Great Hall, where the entire school would be waiting for the other two wizarding schools.

Our Head of House told us to leave at least ten spots empty as the Durmstrangs were meant to sit with us. At this comment, Draco made Crabbe and Goyle sit to his right so the Durmstrang students, mainly Viktor Krum, can sit next to him. I took my usual spot across from Draco which still ensured one of the Durmstrang boys were to sit next to me. The Ravenclaw table was also set up in the same way, probably for Beauxbaton to sit with them.

After fifteen minutes of waiting, the Beauxbatons and Durmstrangs came in with extraordinary entrances: the girls did some sort of aerobics routine earning the attention of almost every male in the room, whereas the boys had a beautiful fire show, surprising Headmaster Dumbledore.

Once everyone took their seats, Viktor Krum sitting next to Draco and a muscular Bulgarian— named Ivan— sitting next to me, Dumbledore motioned Madame Maxime of Beauxbaton and Professor Karkaroff of Durmstrang to their seats at the Staff Table as he remained standing. A silence fell over the Great Hall.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and — most particularly — guests," said Dumbledore, beaming around at the foreign students. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable.

"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," said Dumbledore. "I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!"

He sat down, and I saw Karkaroff lean forward at once and engage him in conversation. The plates in front of us filled with food as usual. The house-elves in the kitchen seemed to have pulled out all the stops; there was a greater variety of dishes in front of them than I had ever seen, including several that were definitely foreign.

"So, you're Viktor Krum," Draco said, addressing the Bulgarian Seeker.

"Yes, I 'em," he said, stuffing his face with food. His mannerism reminded me much of Crabbe and Goyle, who were stuffing their faces as well.

"I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy," he smirked. "And this is my best friend, Adelaide Ward."

" 'Ello, Adleed," said Krum in his thick Bulgarian accent.

"Pleasure," I smiled weakly. "Please, call me Lady. Almost everyone does."

"Lady, try t'a Sarmi," Krum offered, using tongs to grab two of the leaf wrapped rolls and placing them on my place, "they very good. Много е добро." (It is very good.)

"Uh," I looked at Draco and he gave me an encouraging, condescending look, "lovely."

Cutting off a small piece, I placed the odd looking veggie wrap in my mouth. It wasn't the worse thing I've tried, but wasn't my favorite. I'm not a fan of cabbage, which was the leaf wrapping, but the inside was decent. Krum gave me a wondering look.

"I like the filling," I said once I swallowed what I chewed. Krum gave me an approving nod and continued to stuff his face.

Once the golden plates had been wiped clean, Dumbledore stood up again. A pleasant sort of tension seemed to fill the Hall now. I felt a slight thrill of excitement, wondering what was coming.