26. Calming the storm

Previously: "What? Do you think I can't afford it." He asked, anger rising up in his voice. It was at that moment that Clarke knew they were going to have the argument of the year. Well argument of the year was an understatement.

***

"Of course, you of all people wouldn't understand." Bellamy hissed.

Clarke growled at him, fury evident in her eyes. Of course they would argue about her being a kind person. Of course he'd find a way to turn every good deed of her's into a crime. It was as though it was in his nature. A habit.

"I'm in debt! Don't even talk to me about that!" Clarke shouted. Bellamy was in her face at this point. If she took a step forward then her body would be flush against his chest. She stayed where she was however, still cautious of him.

"Exactly! You're in debt. Yes, I'm not swimming in money but I don't need your charity just because you get paid well, princess!" He scoffed, before turning his back on her and walking out of their open kitchen.

"I'm sorry for paying your rent. Is that what you want to hear? That it's my fault? That I'm the bad guy? Fine, I'll be the bad guy." Clarke said, sternly. Bellamy whirled around immediately and strode up to her.

"I don't want your pity princess. I'm fine on my own. I don't need you meddling in my life!" He accused. At that Clarke's eyes welled up slightly and glassed over. It took Bellamy aback slightly. He hadn't meant to hurt her. To strike a nerve.

"I'm meddling in your life?" She scoffed before prodding an accusing finger into his chest, "You arrested me in my own apartment. You pushed me against a wall and handcuffed me and then took me to jail, unnecessarily, where I was poisoned and nearly killed!"

Bellamy eyes flashed with hurt. It was true, after all. But her saying it out loud made it all real. It made it all stick. He had been the reason that she was almost killed and he would regret that forever. He noticed that a single tear ran down Clarke's face and he couldn't even imagined what all of this must be like to her.

"Clarke-"

"Oh and then you take me to a lawyer who happens to be my freaking step father. I- I can't deal with that. I can't do this again. I- I can't get attached." She sniffed.

"Clarke, I'm-"

"DON'T " She snapped, suddenly and it caused Bellamy to step back slightly. He put up his hands slowly and approached her carefully, like you would a stray animal.

"Just leave." She muttered, and the words came out cracked. Bellamy sighed, not wanting to leave but knowing that it was probably for the best. He knew that she had paid his part of the rent on good intention and he hadn't meant to snap but he couldn't help but assume that she was belittling him. He walked to his room silently and shut the door softly. He heard the front door open and close and he assumed that she left to go to Raven's or something. In all honesty, he was mad. He was sure that Octavia must have said something to Clarke before her shift causing Clarke to feel guilty and pay the full rent. He just knew it. He opened his phone and dialed Octavia's number.

"Hey big brother." Octavia greeted, innocently.

"Octavia." He growled, "What did you tell, Clarke?"