13 - Gold digger

Ben was tired, but he took some free time to go see Coach. The season was coming to an end. It was still statistically possible for the team to win a playoff spot, but they needed to win games and some other teams needed to lose. They had a decent playoff run the year before, and Ben really hoped to do it again. Never give up was his motto, and he planned to play hard until the last out.

Ben was still adjusting to having a stepmother, even though Betsy had always been a part of his life.  If they got hurt in the yard, Coach would tell them to go see Betsy. She cleaned and bandaged a million cuts and scrapes for him. She never ran out of fresh baked cookies. On snowy days, they always went to her house for big mugs of hot chocolate. It wasn't the same as when he was a kid. A lot had happened since Bandaids, cookies and cocoa. They grew up and Betsy lost her daughter first to addiction and then death.

His father hugged him. "How're you holding up?"

"Tired but we're in the home stretch."

"I know Jett's feeling it."

"Yeah, well, he's in the crouch for hours, then he goes home and deals with that menace."

"Don't call my grandson and namesake a menace. He's a sweet thing. You were a menace."

"I heard about my long painful entry into this world. It's up to forty-eight hours."

"Did she call you again?"

He shook his head. "She showed up in my room."

His father paced and used big hand motions as he raised his voice. "That woman is no good." He lowered his voice and gained control. "I can't regret knowing her because you kids mean the world to me. By the way, it was not even eighteen hours and Kenzie was quick, maybe three."

"Apparently math isn't her strength. She can't handle money, because that's all she wanted. She claims to be homeless, so I offered to call for a ride to the shelter." Coach laughed.

She probably had money, but it just wasn't enough knowing she gave birth to what she perceives as a gravy train. Ben realized how pitiful it was. His own father had never asked for a dime from either him or Kenzie. He still did some carpentry jobs but had slowed down, most likely because he wasn't clothing and feeding kids anymore. He had his coaching job and Betsy worked full time at the bank. He would be happy to give them what they needed to retire, but neither were retirement age and they were happy to work.

"What's new with you? Are you still seeing the girl?"

Ben paused, not sure of the correct answer. "Technically yes, but I need to end it. She's not right for me. Your first wife didn't just show up at my room, Angela brought her to me and fell for her sob story. I can't trust her."

"Trust is important. You'll find someone who you can trust, who will compliment you like Kenzie and Jett."

"She better not want kids, because I'm not having any holy terrors." His father shook his head. "I just don't want them."

"They aren't mandatory, son."

Coach put a stack of pancakes in front of him and he told him about his condo. "It should be ready in a week or two. Not that I have time to arrange for furniture and things I will need."

"You'll be off to Florida." He sounded disappointed.

"I might stick around and get used to the new place. Maybe I'll stay through the holidays."

"I like that idea." The older man smiled.

The conversation migrated to baseball, and eventually Ben stood to leave. He needed to make the most of his day and wanted to stop by a furniture store, because he really didn't want to stay in the hotel any longer than he had to. He was walking through the showroom when his phone rang. Seeing it was Jett, he answered.