10 - Tee off

Ben was looking forward to his day off on Monday, although he had signed up for a celebrity charity golf event.

Two weeks before, he'd had dinner at Kenzie's after the game, but he needed to head home to crash. Jett hadn't mentioned his favorite fan, so hopefully the novelty had worn off. Ben admitted she was intelligent and good looking. Her dark hair was long and bounced when she walked and it swayed when she moved her head. He didn't want to think about her legs which he noticed the first night. The next morning when her boyfriend helped her in the car, she had on heels which extended her legs so they went on forever.

Waking for golf was torture. As he arrived at the exclusive country club, Ben wished he was still in bed. It was the second year he signed up to take part in the event. A few of his teammates had convinced him to try it, and although he wasn't much of a golfer, he enjoyed himself.

As a celebrity, he was to be partnered with one of the rich fat cat donors. They didn't require him to donate because he had agreed to give up his day and attend a cocktail reception to sign autographs. He didn't consider himself a celebrity, even though he had done a few commercials. Boston loved their sports and the players. Guys from the football, hockey and basketball teams gathered around the coffee urn before the early morning tee-off.

Javier waved him over. "Who else is coming?" Ben looked around.

"I think it's just us. Tex backed out. Your bro didn't want to have some fun?"

Their teammates referred to Jett as his brother. Ben shook his head. "He's probably changing diapers."

Javier laughed. "Glad my kids are older. That shit was bad."

The organizer appeared and explained the details. One by one he announced who was being paired with whom. Eventually he heard his name. "Benjamin Lynch, All Star first baseman with Edward Calhoun, Homestead builders."

Ben smiled. He had heard of Homestead because it was building the condos he had an interest in. After his mother's visit, those condos were more appealing than ever.

Unexpectedly, he found himself face to face with a man not much older than himself. Ben had expected an old man. Calhoun was tall and smiled as he reached out his hand. Ben followed suit, and they exchanged a firm handshake.

Ben was searching for an opener, but Edward surprised him. "My sister won't believe this. She's a huge fan. She said something about meeting you once."

"I'm sure she isn't like my crazy fans."

"When it comes to you and baseball, she's crazy!"

He tried to sound amused. Truthfully, screaming women annoyed him. He didn't know how old his sister was, but at least he would know she wasn't out for his money.

"I'm a fan of yours. I'm interested in your converted mill condos."

His face lost its smile. "We have a waiting list. I could add your name. A percentage of those with deposits fall through, especially the ones who aren't pre-qualified for a mortgage."

Ben smiled. "I wouldn't need one."

"I imagine you wouldn't." His smile was back. His voice switched to a whisper. "I'm not really a golfer. My friend Trey persuaded me. He's a lawyer. You know what they say about lawyers and doctors always on the golf course."

He followed his eyes to a man who looked Edward's age. He reeked of money. "What kind of lawyer?"

"Family law, but he comes from old family money."

"I didn't know you people talked like that."

"We grew up together. My family's money goes back to my grandfather while his goes back to the industrial revolution. It's a fact."