🌧 Teej 🌦

◤◢◣◥◤ ◢◣◆◢◣◥◤◢◣◥ ◣◥◤◢◣ ◥◤◆◥◤◢◣◥◤◢

| KNOW WHAT IS TEEJ |
By _LibraChild_
Banner by- _starflies_

Teej is the common name for a number of Monsoon festivals celebrated by Hindu women, especially in North & Central India

Teej is the common name for a number of Monsoon festivals celebrated by Hindu women, especially in North & Central India. Teej literally refers to the third day, after the Purnima (full moon) and Amavasya (no moon) of the different months.

This festival majorly signifies the union of Goddess Parvati with one of the Trinity, Shiva. It also celebrates the kindness of the nature, arrival of the rain and the greenery it brings with itself.

Women across the region do not eat or drink water for more than 24 hours, as the main ritual, for a long life of their husbands (this is fast/Vratt that is practised to strengthen the love between couples). They sing, dance, dress up in shimmering traditional attire and also paint their hands with henna, called mehendi.

 They sing, dance, dress up in shimmering traditional attire and also paint their hands with henna, called mehendi

(Rights not reserved, image credits to owners)

There are mainly three types of Teej
Hariyali Teej - July 23rd, 2020
Kajari Teej - August 6th, 2020
Hartalika Teej - August 21st, 2020

1. Harilyali Teej — Celebrated on the 3rd day of the Purnima in the month of Sawan/Shravana (Hindu calendar). This is the month of monsoon and thus the nature blooms with a new green. Hence, the name hariyali = green.

It is said that during this day, Parvati, on her 108th birth, was finally accepted by Shiva as his wife after a long fast. It commemorates the union of this divine couple.
This festival is immensely popular in Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan.

2. Kajari Teej — Celebrated on the 3rd day of the North Indian Lunar month of Bhadrapada. In Rajasthan, it is also known as Badi Teej (Bigger Teej) as compared to Hariyali Teej or Chhoti Teej (Smaller Teej).

Women of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan pray to Shiva during this festival. It is also customary to sing folk songs called kajris. The theme of the song is mainly a bride's longing to be with her beloved at his parents' home as she's sent to her home to celebrate or it focuses on the bride eagerly waiting for her brothers to take her back home.

3. Hartalika Teej — It is comprised of two words harta = abduction and alika = female companion.

According to the legend, Goddess Parvati, when incarnated as Shailputri, was offered to marry by her father to another one of the Trinity, Vishnu, against her will. When she got to know about the circumstances, she, with the help of a friend, ran away into a dense jungle.

On the third day of bright half Bhadrapada, Parvati made a shivalingam with her hair and Shiva was so impressed that he promised to marry Parvati.
This day is thus meant to celebrate the auspicious union of Shiva and Parvati.nThe focus is on Parvati whom Shiva asked to be named as Hartalika.

The festival is joyously celebrated in Rajasthan, Uttrakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand.

This is a somewhat shorter version of the main festival of Teej.
Hope you enjoyed knowing.
Tell us in the comments if it's celebrated in your family too.

Happy Teej to all!
•○○•
#ind_legion
◤◢◣◥◤ ◢◣◆◢◣◥◤◢◣◥ ◣◥◤◢◣ ◥◤◆◥◤◢◣◥◤◢