⚠️marry me? ⚠️

“Table for two, please,” Cheryl says, resting her elbows on the hostess’ counter.

“My pleasure. Will your guest be arriving shortly?” The man asks, eyes glued to the floor. When he turns his gaze upward, he beams. “Ms. Blossom!”

“Fabio!” Cheryl exclaims, a grin spreading across her lips. “I haven’t seen you since I was a little girl!”

He laughs. “How are you doing these days? You used to come here all the time.”

“Well, that was before my mother decided it wasn’t classy enough for us,” Cheryl grimaces. “She was wrong, of course. And even if she wasn’t, I’m not part of that ‘us’ anymore. I’ve emancipated.”

He sighs in relief. “Thank GOD. I couldn’t bear seeing how they treated you all the time, just based on how you were in my restaurant. Are you waiting for someone now?”

“Yes, and she’s late coming back from her job at the Greendale Preschool.” Cheryl takes a deep breath in and releases it. “It’s my girlfriend, Toni.”

“Shut UP.” Fabio covers his mouth. “I knew it,” he whispers more to himself than to her.

Cheryl rolls her eyes. “Oh, Fabio. You always did know me better than I knew myself.”

He shrugs. “At this point, I’m just happy for you. Do I know her? Is she a regular here?”

“I don’t know, actually. I don’t think so,” Cheryl tells him. “I’ve seen her with your takeout bag a few times. You might recognize her when she comes in, if she ever shows up.”

The door chimes as a figure steps inside. “Sorry I’m late, babe,” Toni comes up from behind Cheryl and puts her hands on her shoulders. “Who’s this?” She says quietly at the man.

“Fabio, this is my girlfriend, Antoinette Topaz. Toni, my family used to be regulars here. Fabio was my closest friend in a town for a long time,” she says, grabbing Toni’s waist and squeezing lightly.

Toni groans in approval before reaching around her girlfriend to shake Fabio’s hand. “Great to meet you.”

He smiles. “Let me get you two lovebirds a table.”

After they sit at a secluded booth, a waiter comes over. “What can I get you two ladies to drink?”

Toni glances at the menu and her eyes widen at the pricing. “Oh damn. I’ll have a water, thanks.”

Cheryl rolls her eyes and directs her attention to the waiter. “Two glasses of your finest wine.”

Toni starts to object.

“Don’t even bother. I want nothing but perfection for my girlfriend.” She puts her hand over Toni’s and smiles. “I’m paying.”

The waiter leaves, returning in a minute with two glasses and a few dinner specials menus.

“Everything looks good,” Toni says, stomach grumbling. “Oh, and sorry for suggesting this place, I know we had leftovers at home from when I cooked yesterday.” She raises the wine glass to her mouth, shakes it around and takes a smooth sip.