⚠️Dinner⚠️

I'm so going to hell for this...

“I really appreciate you making us dinner, mom,” Uncle Claudius says to the old woman in red.

“Nonsense,” Nana replies. “It was my pleasure.” She puts a hand on her son’s. “First my son comes home, then my granddaughter brings home a gir—“

“Roseanne that’s enough,” Penelope says firmly. “You do not need to address this... serpent scum who happens to be at our dinner table.”

Cheryl’s face reddens as she panics. “Mother, that is no way to talk to Toni, she’s our guest.”

Toni puts a hand on Cheryl’s to both sooth her and make Penelope angry. “Babe, don’t worry about it. I’m used to people not liking me for their daughters.”

Cheryl raises and eyebrow and smirks suggestively. “Oh?”

Toni squints before the corners of her lips turn upwards in agreement. “Maybe I’ll show you why that is, later?” She whispers so lightly that only Cheryl can hear and barely so.

Nana Rose clears her throat, clearly sensing some of the tension. “Cheryl, dear, will you please pass the potatoes? And offer some to Antoinette,” she quickly adds. “I think she would love the spice blend.”

“And what do you think, mommy?” Toni says slightly too loudly, eyes alight.

Penelope crosses her arms, infuriated. “I am not your—“

Cheryl rolls her eyes. “Relax, mumsy. She was talking to me.”

Toni’s tongue comes out to trace her top lip before she bites down on her bottom one.

Claudius chokes on his food, coughing.

Penelope has had enough. “Cheryl Marjorie Blossom, you are an embarrassment to this family.”

Cheryl wipes her mouth with the embroidered napkin, exactly over the giant crimson B, being careful not to smudge her own lipstick. She shoves her chair backwards with a wooden groan and stands, reaching a hand out to Toni. “I think it’s time ma chérie and I left this haunted establishment. Nana, we’ll be back for you soon.”

Toni grasps the hand and hoists herself upwards, letting her eyes drop to take in the rest of Cheryl’s lower torso. “Mm, let’s go back to my trailer.”

They’re almost out the door when Claudius shouts, “Goodbye, niece! And it was nice meeting you, Toni.”

“Thanks for the meal, Nana Rose,” Toni calls, and slams the door shut.

The chilly air meets the girls’ slim clothing bitterly.

“You did NOT have to go off like that, Cheryl,” Toni says, smirking as she gets on her bike and turns it on.

“Oh, but I did, ma chérie,” Cheryl sighs, swinging her legs over to get on behind Toni, not noticing how Toni’s eyes roll to the back of her head as she feels Cheryl on her back. “No one gets to talk to me or my girlfriend like that. You’re not going back again.”

“And what about your things?” Toni says, revving the engine.

Cheryl frowns for a second. “I don’t need them. I have you.”