Chapter 20: The Horrible Surprise

"Why don't you paint something I do like?" He countered, scowling at my work.

"What about yours?" I ignored his question and walked to his. "Wow." I stared at it. What was it? It just looked like a mess of colors. I tilted my head to see it from another angle.

Carter walked up behind me. "Do you not like it?" He asked stiffly.

"It's just very...interesting." I said truthfully. I noticed his scowl. "Everyone's different." I cleared up. he just clenched his jaw.

"Why don't we do something else?" He asked.

Without waiting for an answer, he grabbed my hand and dragged me out and down a hall to the first dark room I'd seen. It looked like a theater room.

"Hope you don't mind horror movies." He said. I gulped as he sat me down. "I'm going to get popcorn and snacks. Wait here." Then he left, with the remote in my hands and the movie starting.

Worriedly, I glanced at the giant flatscreen TV. Suddenly, the room seemed really big and dark with lots of shadows.

About thirty minutes in, the door opened. I tensed.

Footsteps echoed and advanced my way. I slid down in my seat and felt myself sweating. I knew whoever it was was normal human being, but a horror movie does not help.

"Sir Nathan?" An unfamiliar male voice called. I gulped and sunk deeper into my chair. "Which row are you on?" I didn't answer. I heard a small sigh. "Master Carter has asked me to bring me these to you." I blinked.

"Uh, I don't know what row, but right here." I sat up and looked around. I found an older man holding a bowl. He was wearing a suit with a bowtie and had a hair full of grey hair. Despite his resting bitch face, he had a kind aura about him.

You know, as of right now, I'm convinced Carter is either Batman, or a criminal.

"Here you are." He placed the bowl of popcorn next to me.

"Thank you." I nodded. He started walking away. "Wait!" I called.

He looked back with an eyebrow raised. I swallowed.

"Um, can you put a different movie on?" I asked meekly. He paused before smiling slightly.

"Not a fan on horror?" He asked, walking to the front and taking the disk out. I shook my head.

"N-not really." He chuckled.

"What do you want to watch?" He asked. I shrugged, so he put in a random movie.

"Thank you." I said. He smiled and nodded. "Um, I didn't get you name."

He chuckled. "Charles Wadsworth." He answered. "You can call me Carl."

"Thank you, Carl." I said again.

"No problem. I'll be in the next room if you need me." With that he walked out.

I sat comfortably in the chair and watched the movie that turned out to be Jumanji. I felt better after it.

"Hey, Nath." Carter walked in and sat next to me, grabbing a handful of popcorn. "Had to take care of a few things." I shrugged and he turned to the movie. Then he frowned. "I thought we were watching—"

"Yeah, but I couldn't watch it." I mumbled.

"Why not?" He asked, glancing at me. "Too scary?"