Chapter 38: The Kidnapping

Pic above is  Carter

Chapter 38: The Kidnapping

It didn't seem like the road would end. I guess I was asleep when Carter brought me the first time, but the drive was taking forever. I was starting to get tired.

I was weary of sleep, though; I was worried Oscar and company would try to do something.

But I couldn't escape the yawn. Or how heavy my eyelids became. Nor my fingers loosening their grip. I leaned my head against the window as my eyes closed.

I was out within seconds.

My dreams consisted of memories of him. I'm sure I whimpered and moved around in my sleep. It was hard to relive those memories. So when I woke up, I was in a cold sweat.

Then the car jerked forward, and I fell onto the floor. Oscar glanced at me with a raised eyebrow. I just glared back. He got the idea and turned back to his phone. I stood up and sat back down, looking out the window. We reached the gate to the mansion and the car pulled around the roundabout and parked.

Oscar got out first, then me, then the other guy whose name I learned was Brian.

They escorted me up the steps to the massive front door. Oscar walked right in and they led me down a maze of halls until they stopped in front of two double doors. Oscar knocked quietly.

"Enter." The voice came. Brian opened the door and Oscar grabbed my arm and we all stepped in.

My eyesight seemed to zoom in on only him. He was standing next to a window with a champagne glass in his hand.

He wasn't any less scary than he was all those years ago. In fact, he seemed more. The light cast shadows over his eyes and his age lines seemed more prominent.

He knew who I was. Has he been spying on me all these years? Or did Carter just tell him? Why did he want to see me? What importance did I have to him?

I saw him turn and immediately diverted my eyes to the wood floor. I stood awkwardly as his eyes raked over me. I could feel his cold stare, making me shiver. I subconsciously pulled on my sleeve and played with a loose string.

"Alfonso." Oscar addressed him, bowing his head slightly. He took a few steps forward and said quietly, "He remembers."

I glanced up. He looked at Oscar, surprised. Then his eyes narrowed.

"Are you sure?" He asked demandingly. Oscar nodded.

"Yes."

They both looked back at me. I stood frozen as our gazes met. He must have seen the fear in my eyes. I was sure he could smell it.

I started sweating the longer our eyes held each other's gaze. He observed me while I shrunk under his stare.

"Nathan, is it?" He finally spoke. I flinched when he said my name. "Long time, no see." He smiled, waving his hand to an empty chair.

I didn't move. His smile was fake. He was trying to bait me. Pretend like nothing happened.

But I wouldn't let it go. I couldn't.

When he noticed I didn't move, he nodded once to Oscar, then walked to his desk off to the right. Oscar grabbed my arm and sat me on the chair in front of the desk.

"You know, after everything's that happened, I suspected you to start yelling and ranting at me." He said, filling his glass up again. "But now that you're in here," he paused and looked up at me, "there's nothing. No fury, no rage, not even anger. Just...fear.