Chapter 56: The Endings

Denny put all my records in the system, which included legally making my name Ethan Connor Aiden (even though I wasn't technically and Aiden yet. Kenny said he had a date planned, but wouldn't tell me until the week before. Yes, I think he's dumb too.) and moving my residence to Kenny's address. School finished on Friday, June 5th. I worked things out with my boss at the diner, and with a few extra shifts, I was able to keep my job. Kenny didn't like that I was working in the summer, but I didn't have anything else to do.

That first week of Kenny's 'no sex talk' promise, we continued and finished Tiger's Curse, and barely even noticed when the week was up because we were so invested in the second book. Occasionally, Denny would come sit and read with us, and some free days, I'd go with Denny to work. Others (rarely) I'd let Kenny paint me. I did end up reading a few of his books like Rachael told me to, and they weren't half bad. I'd never tell him that, but he does know I have copies of his books.

Speaking of Rachael, she and Bruce graduated high school and moved in together a few hours away. She got a new job (that's another reason I took extra shifts) as a part-time manager in a fancy restaurant, and Bruce works at a daycare. They did online classes for college, and apparently Bruce got a dog.

Jackie spent most her summer at her job, at the hospital, or home with Tony. They've gotten a lot closer recently, and I was happy for both of them. I kinda felt like a big brother to Jackie, and even though she was older, she looks up to me. It felt nice when she came to me for help, and I was always happy to oblige. As for Tony, he was finished with school, so he was mostly at work at with Jackie.

Collin and I occasionally hung out, but it wasn't often. I think he's hiding something. He'll get a text in the middle of lunch and leave immediately. The weeks leading up to school's end, he was always disappearing before his last class. I wasn't gonna pry, but I did remind him to be careful, and to not get into anything illegal or dangerous. He'd always look away and respond with, 'It's not technically illegal. Dangerous? Maybe.'

Jeremy finally asked out Laura Lee and she moved to help with the Foster home. I knew they were right for each other the moment I saw them together. I was so happy for them, seeing them so happy together.

There's not much else to report, besides that Carter and Kristi were eventually caught and put in prison. The system was careful not to put Carter, Kristi, or Alfonso in the same building. They're all somewhere, out of my life, and I'll never have to think about them again.

This news put me in a...mood.

So while Kenny was off meeting with his agent, and Denny was at work, I worked around the house. I cleaned the kitchen and the bedroom, washing the sheets and doing up the dishes. I made a nice meal once the rest of the house was spiffy, and the sheets were back on. I set three spots at the table and put the food on the table, just as the door opened. Kenny and Denny walked in laughing, then stopped when they saw the kitchen.

Denny walked towards me and kissed my lips then asked, "What's this?"

"Oh, just a little something." I rocked on my heels and bit my lip.

Kenny eyed me. "What for?"

"Can't I make dinner for my lovely husbands-to-be?" I asked innocently, grabbing a bottle of wine from the cabinet.

"You can." Denny smiled and kissed me again.

"You can." Kenny said warily. "But usually it's just grilled cheese, or something else." He eyed the table. "Not a three-course meal."

"Don't be dramatic." I rolled my eyes and waved my hand. "It's just spaghetti, corn, garlic bread, and salad." I shrugged, placing the bottle on the table, then faced Kenny. "A normal dinner."