Chapter 17: The History, Part 2

I looked around the room. I tapped my fingers on my stomach. I shifted so the pillow behind me was propping me up in a sitting position.

What was there to do? I didn't really want to go to sleep.

Not that I could anyway. My mind was too alert and my thoughts loud.

Dinner. With the Aiden's. Will it turn into something else? Did I want it to?

They love me. Denny loves me. Did I love them back?

Kenny and I almost had sex. But I stopped it. If I was 18, would I have stopped it?

Collin. He'd never been rude to me before. What changed?

Carter. He'd been rude since day one. Who is he? And why did he suddenly start talking to a poor person like me?

Jonah. How does he know Carter? What does he know?

Jeremy. What did it mean that I was leaving? Is he ok with it? Does he want me to?

Which brings me to my mother. I'd be so hell bent on finding her. What happened? I hadn't even thought about her in over a month. Up until now, she was the only thing important to me, besides Jer.

Did I want to find her, now that I had actual parents? Well, almost. Not so much parents, as...Parental figures? Lovers? (I hate myself for thinking this,) Daddies?

Damn Jackie. Invading my mind.

But what are they to me?

I stared at the ceiling as my thoughts invaded. I was so confused about this whole adoption. Once the papers are signed, they legally are my parents. So, wouldn't it be weird?

Why, another part of me wondered. Why would it be weird? You know you like them—maybe love them—so why are you hesitating?

I didn't know.

I sat for another 5 minutes maybe before Denny came back in.

"So, I talked to Kenny about the dinner. He's going to run to the store and get some things, and then as soon as you're released, then I'm going to head home." He said. I nodded and looked back up at the ceiling.

He noticed my sober state.

"Hey, you ok?"

I shrugged. "Just thinking." He sat on the side of my bed.

"You know, if Kenny were here, he'd say something super sexual about that." He laughed softly.

I snickered. "Yeah, then he'd smirk and climb on top of me." Denny nodded.

"Probably. He's like that." He smiled. "He did that for almost a whole year after we started dating. And after we married."

"That is so Kenny." I laughed. He paused.

"Did you and Kenny ever...do it when you were dating a while back?" He asked. I looked over at him shocked.

"Um, no. As crazy as that sounds." I answered.

"So maybe that's why he's wanted to for a while." He said, but it was mostly to himself.

"When we dated then, neither of us were in a very good place." I said. "We were kinda like each other's booty call...just without the booty." My face turned a little red. "I-I think we were experimenting. He'd just gotten out of a relationship where his girlfriend was cheating on him, and the guy was cheating on her with another guy. The guy was just doing it to get revenge on Kenny, er something. And then I'd just lost Sammy...and..." I trailed off. Denny put a hand on my thigh.