Chapter 50: The Rescue

I was pulled out of my memory with the slam of a door. I winced, the sound ringing loudly in my ears. Cory' voice echoed on the walls, long after she'd left. I hadn't heard a word, but I felt proper lectured. And, as lectures go, it went in one ear, and out the other. I lied on the floor, staring at the ceiling, and thinking about life.

Thinking about life is bad as it is, but while kidnapped and in pain was worse. I tried to think about something else.

Cory. Her name came to my head. It was hard to tell my feelings for her. I obviously didn't want her in my life, but it's not like I hated her. I didn't hate her; I just didn't particularly like her. I'm sure in a different life, I would, but not in this one.

I started to wonder if, had Cory stayed in the UK, things would be different. If she stayed across the sea, I would've been born there, we wouldn't have anything to do with Alfonso, and we could've lived a normal life, just mother and son.

But then I wouldn't've known Sammy, or Jeremy, or the Aidens or Jackie...All the people in my life now, I wouldn't've met. I wouldn't've fell in love with Sammy, then Denny and Kenny.

But I also wouldn't be in this position.

Was it really worth all that? If I had the option, would I give up the light in my life, to be free, and safe, and in a good place?

No. There wasn't hesitation. It was barely a choice. I wouldn't give up my family for the chance to have a mother who would love, and care, and support me.

Besides, she had her chance. If she hadn't then, why would she now?

I was fine without her. I had a real family. I had their love; their care; their support. I didn't need to linger on a false 'what if' when no matter what could've happened, Cory would've left me anyway.

She may have given me birth, but she was not my mother. I didn't have one, and I didn't need one. I had Jeremy, and that's all the parentage I needed. I had Jackie who was like my sister. I did love her like one.

And then there was Denny and Kenny. There were no words to explain how much I cared about them. Right about now, I was sad I didn't take Kenny's proposal to marry him. As much as he got on my nerves, I did love him. And Denny...He was just so chivalrous, and sweet, and caring. Even though he gets most of his amusement seeing me uncomfortable, it was hard to not love him. Both of them brought a better version of me out, and I them.

Sealing it with them seemed...right.

Thinking about Kenny and Denny made me realize how much I love them. It was hardly a secret, but I'd never actually said it out loud.

And now I'll never get the chance. As much as I wanted to believe they'd find me and rescue me, it just wasn't possible. I didn't even know where I was! And as soon as Cory came back, all hope was lost.

My mind wondered back to that memory.

We get back to his apartment and lounge on the couch for a while watching Friends. After a few episodes, I'm a little bored, so I announce, "I'm hungry."

Kenny looks at me. "You just ate."

"Yes. And I'm hungry again." I say.

He laughs. "Go eat your spaghetti, then."

"But I don't want to get up," I complain.

"Oh, the things I do..." He shakes his head and gets up.