Chapter 44: The Information

Kenny's POV

I laughed with Ethan about our disagreement on the shapes of the clouds. His mind worked differently than mine. The same in some ways, but for the most part, different. When we first met all those years ago, I'd never thought we'd have anything to do with each other.

But now, he was my lover. As much as he denied it, I knew he wanted to be. He loved me and Denny as much as I them.

"What about that one?" He asked. I squinted up at the could he pointed at.

"It looks like—" Before I could finish, my phone rang. I glanced at it and stood up. "Sorry, one minute." I told him, before I walked a couple feet away. "Kenneth." I said into the phone.

"You're a little late." My agent, Lydia, said. I cursed under my breath.

"Shit, I forgot."

"Yeah I figured." She laughed. "Too busy with your new boyfriend?"

I paused. "How did you—"

"Kenneth, I'm your agent. Of course I know." She said like it was obvious. "Plus, you aren't exactly subtle."

"Whatever. What's on the agenda?"

"Tomorrow, you're due another chapter; Friday you have a press conference; next Wednesday you have a signing; next weekend..."

Her voice drowned out as I saw movement. I looked over at Ethan. He gestured to the lady next to him. I nodded my head and turned back away, then paused. Denny doesn't have very many woman colleagues, and I'd heard nothing about a new one. I glanced back and narrowed my eyes at her. Ethan followed her inside, completely unaware.

"Hey, Lyd, I gotta go." I said absently.

"Don't you dare hang up, Kenneth. You still have to—"

I hung up. As I was walking inside, I saw a black car out of the corner of my eye. I glanced at it, making sure I saw the license plate, then walked inside. I looked around for Ethan and the woman.

"Kenny?" Denny's voice came from somewhere in front of me. "Where'd Ethan go?"

"Did you see a tall girl with short, dark hair walk in?" I asked.

"What? Not that I can recall, but where'd Ethan go?" He asked again, his voice thick with worry.

I turned to my husband. "He came in a few minutes ago with that lady. She wouldn't happen to be a new recruit, would she?"

"No..."

We both cursed and looked around.

"Go look around, I'll check the security cameras." Denny said almost too calmly.

I nodded, taking deep breaths to stop myself from freaking out. This was not the first time he'd disappeared, but this time, I was worried for his life. If I've learned anything about Ethan, it's that trouble seems to find him. And if I learned anything from him, it's that Carter is ruthless. And now that his father is in jail, who's to say how far he will go?

I asked some people if they'd seen anything. I checked in empty rooms. I couldn't find anything. I met with Denny again. He was looking at the screen intently. I paced behind him.

"The cameras didn't pick up her face, but, look; there's Ethan." He pointed and I stared. "He walked into the building with her, and then went into the only blind spot in the precinct."

I rubbed my hands on my face. "Why would he go with a stranger?"

"He thought she was an officer." Denny said. "It's not like he could've known."