34~ The Appearance

I was floating. 

It was an eccentric feeling. 

There was nothing around me, absolutely nothing. I was suspended in a place far from time, far from my worries. My life seemed like a distant echo. 

It was peaceful. A world apart from my life, literally. 

But it didn't last long. Everything ended eventually, but I was dead, wasn't I? Things shouldn't end for me anymore. 

I was pulled from my suspended state and into a place I had never seen before. It was... empty. Grey and dull. 

Was this... heaven? Or hell?

Did they even exist? 

Well, guess I'll find out. I have no other choice anyway. 

I walked through the grey wispy clouds, not knowing where to go. With no landmarks to identify my position, I may as well have been walking around in circles. 

But I had eternity to do so, didn't I? Maybe I'll spend it like this. 

Nah, fate said "sike". 

A flicker of glowing white light moved towards me. Curious, I walked towards it too. Suddenly, it went out. I looked around in surprise. 

Where did it go?

'I'm here,' a melodious voice called out from behind me. I turned around, but saw nothing. 'Where are you looking?' it said again. I turned around in circles, unsure of the direction as it echoed all around me. 

'Fine, I'll stop playing,' the voice drawled. The flicker of light suddenly appeared right in front of my face. I stepped back in surprise. It slowly became brighter, until I couldn't see it anymore. 

When the light subsided and I opened my eyes, I saw the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes upon. 

No, I couldn't see her face, but her dark mocha skin and her demeanour just screamed beauty. I fell to my knees. 

'Moon Goddess,' I whispered. She smiled at me. 

'Rise, Serena,' she said, 'and come walk with me. We have much to talk about.' she turned around and held out her hand. I took it, and we walked. 

'You have been through a lot in these past moths,' Moon Goddess said, 'and I am proud of you for handling it so well. It was indeed a hard job, being the first hybrid of your kind... or should I say, tribrid.' I pursed my lips and nodded. I couldn't remember exactly what had happened, but I knew what she was talking about. 

There was something I wanted to ask her...

'Moon Goddess,' I said, 'may I ask you a question?' she gestured for me to go ahead. 'What happened to Vamp? I mean, uh, Dracula? And Athena?' The goddess looked sad. 

'I pity the girl,' she mused, 'bearing the Curse of the Flame Bearers. I should never have let the Flame down, but that cannot be helped. Dracula, as you call him, killed Athena less than a second after the dagger pierced your heart.' I looked at her, wide eyed. Then I looked down. 

'So she's dead,' I said. Moon Goddess didn't respond. 

'Tell me, Serena,' she said, 'would you like to go back?'

I looked at her in confusion. 'Back...? Where?' 

'Would you like to go back to your past life?' 

My confusion melted into shock. 'I can... do that?' Moon Goddess nodded. 'Uh...' I said, 'can I ask you another question?' 

'Go ahead,' she replied, 'this is my first time talking to a mated pair after a century.'

'You spoke to Rick?' I squealed. She laughed. 

'I offered him the same choice,' she continued, 'and he chose.'  

'What did he say?' I asked eagerly. Moon Goddess shook her head. 

'I can't tell you his decision,' she said. 

'Why?!' I whined, I wanted to stay with him wherever he was. I was secrelty hoping that wee would meet in the afterlife, if there was one. 

'I can't tell you that,' she said, 'but I can give you one tip. Trust your bond.' 

Jeez, what kind of tip was that? Really, gods and their confusing prophecies and their disserpearences... I need a break. 

I took a deep breath. 'I've made a decision,' I said, 'but I have another question.' 

'Just say it,' she said, 'and let me send you back already. You have stuff to do and so do I.'

 Eh? 

I brushed it off.

'Athena,' I said, 'What happened to her?' 

'Since she was the last of the Flame Bearers and the one to fight the battle, she is blessed. She is alive, but barely. Her soul is now in the dagger lethal to Dracula. It is now... a cursed weapon, because of her bitter end. But she lives on. Kayden, however, is gone for good.' 

I looked away, tears forming in my eyes. 

That was my fault.

'Moon Goddess,' I said, 'if it isn't too much to ask... could my choice be given to someone else?' She looked at me, her aura changing to mild surprise. 

'Who would you want to give it to?' she asked. 

'Kayden,' I said, 'I had no right to take his life. It was an act of pure rage. And maybe Athena's dagger won't be cursed anymore if he comes back.' 

'If he chooses to return,' she said, 'would you rather see him live in pain, with his mate confined in a place she can never escape from? Do you think he would be happy obsessing over the dagger every waking moment of his life?' 

I sighed. 'That's why it's his choice,' I said, 'I know... it's selfish, but... please. I'm begging you.' She waved her hand in dismissal.

'It's very rare that I see a mortal so selfless,' she said, 'since you're one of my favourites, I was just testing you. Ena's alive. I'll bring Kayden back. Now off you go, I'm a busy person.' 

'Wha-' I started saying, but she kicked me off an edge I didn't even know existed. I fell from Purgatory, the place I had met the Goddess of the Wolves in person. 

^^^^

Heya! We're so close to the end of the book and I'm super excited!!! Thank you so much to everyone who has made it this far!

Hehe ;)