17~ Traitor

I stared at the incoming fireball, eyes wide, unable to move. 

Time slowed down. 

My heartbeat thudded in my ears. 

I was going to die. 

I wish I could say my life flashed before my eyes, but there was only one moment that I remembered. 

It was when I was very young, about five to six years old before the torture and abuse started. Claw and I were walking through the training grounds, looking at the pack training. He excitedly talked about being a strong, fearsome warrior when he was older, and I laughed, saying that a cowardly boy like him could never do that. 

He told me that one day he would meet his father in battle and beat him. He swore it. "I'll be cheering you on for that battle," I had said, "but  the next opponent you face would be me, so don't get your hopes up."

We both laughed. Then Luna called us in for dinner, and we ran in like the excited toddlers we were. 

I closed my eyes when the fireball was only a few feet away and waited for death to take me. I had some regrets, but I had lived a good life. 

I kept my closed, waiting. Nothing came. I slowly opened one, wondering if I was in heaven or hell. 

Instead, I saw Claw's face, only inches from mine. 

Was this hell? 

We both were breathing hard, lying on the ground. 

'Lesson one,' he breathed, 'never give up.' 

For the first time, I realized what had happened. I looked back and sure enough, there was a huge hole burnt into witch HQ. 'You...' I said through a mindlink, unsure, 'saved me...?' 

'You think?' he asked. But I felt his confusion. He didn't plan it. I didn't know how to react. 

'Go find Ena and get out of here,' he said, panting, 'she's still here and in trouble. Next to the building you crashed into.' 

I nodded and got up. When I looked down at Claw, wondering why he wasn't coming with me, my heart almost stopped. 

His front seemed okay, but there were huge burns on his back. Severe ones. He was in bad shape needed medical attention immediately, werewolf alpha or not. 

A tear fell. I knew I had to act, but I was stumped at the fact that he had sacrificed himself to save me. Was it because I was his mate? 

And I had a heavy decision to make. 

Should I save Claw or help Ena? 

I hesitated, unsure of what to do. 

Then I whined and ran back to Claw. I hoped Vamp and Kayden could hold out for a few more minutes. 

When I knelt down, I realized he was unconscious. I picked him up carefully and walked to Witch HQ as fast as I could. When I got to the back of the building, I saw many witches gathered, tending to the wounded. 

I set Claw down very carefully and ran to them. 

'Please,' I breathed, through a mindlink, 'please perform a teleportation spell and send him to the Claw pack. I beg of you.' 

They stared at me and Claw with fear. They probably didn't recognize me in my wolf form. 

'Please!' I yelled, 'There's a life in danger here!'

They nodded. A few surrounded him and started chanting. Once I saw him slowly dissolving, I sighed in relief and rushed back out. 

As I broke out in a run again, I realized how hurt I was. I had a broken nose, a few cracks in my ribs, and other minor cuts and bruises. I wouldn't last long in this state. I needed to get Ena and the Legends and escape immediately before anything bad happened.