22~ Reborn

**KENDRICK'S POV**

The line on the heart monitor went flat.

I could hear my rapid heartbeat. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. I could feel Wendy's sadness, the other medics disappointment in themselves. I could feel how they were dreading my reaction.

There was none.

I turned around and ran out of the room, faster than anyone could see.

I don't know when I shifted, but I did. My body felt heavy. My heart felt like it was on fire with demons dancing on it.

I was done.

There was no point anymore.

Kayden? Gone. Ren was the only one keeping me sane. My mother... she could handle herself.

I let out a painful howl. It cut through the forest, letting everyone know my pain.

My injuries were nothing compared to this hellfire.

She was dead.

Thousands of memories washed over me. I had secretly been dreading this moment but had stupidly clouded rational thought with the belief that I could protect her, no matter what.

But I was too late.

I crashed into a tree as I ran through the forest in a haze. The moment when the heart monitor went flat still ran through my head in a never-ending cycle. I could see her face, peacefully resting on the pillow.

I would never see that face again.

If there was something after this life, she would be in heaven. I would accept my punishment in hell, where I deserved to be.

I had many regrets, but I don't want to live without a purpose. My pack was completely capable of handling itself, especially with my mother there.

Mom.

I silently sent her a sincere apology for what I was about to do. But there was no choice but to end it all, even if I lived, I would live an empty, shallow life without emotion or purpose.

I would rather die.

My own rules sounded in my head.

Never give up.

I guess I was never the one to practice what I preach. I knew I was held in utmost respect, and my pack would understand my actions.

That was all I needed.

I was close to the cliff. It was bout a seven-minute run in my current state. I didn't mind, I had all the time in the world. There was no one coming after me, not anymore, and that gave me more time to reflect upon my short and eventful life.

Soon, I could see the edge. It was blurry, so I blinked multiple times to get my vision right. I realized I was crying.

When was the last time I cried?

It had been a few years. My wolf sent me reassurance. He had accepted the circumstances and was with me until the end. I remembered small moments when we fought for control. When he ran around in my head and I shut him out.

When he forced control and killed my father.

I sighed, and I was over the edge before I knew it.

Well, it had been a life. Some would remember me with fondness, some with hatred.

I could accept that.

What I could not accept was the voice screaming my name just as I leapt.