Chapter 21 - Sarada the Eavesdropper

When they arrived at Sakura's place, Sakura carried the sleeping Boruto on her shoulders as they went out of the car.
"Sakura let Naruto carry him, he's getting heavy," Hinata said.
But Sakura insisted, she told her that she'll let Boruto sleep in Sarada's room.
She carried him to her daughter's room, and she also changed Sarada to her PJs.

"Sweetheart, Boruto will be sleeping beside you for the meantime okay? The grownups will just be downstairs, talking. Goodnight sweetie, mommy loves you," she kissed her daughter goodnight as she tucked her beside Boruto.

"Mommy, please don't shut the door. Boruto also doesn't know how to open doorknobs yet. What if he needs to pee?"

"Okay sweetie, I'll not shut the door," Sakura chuckled and gave Sarada another kiss.
She went downstairs and straight to her living room where Naruto and Hinata were waiting.

When Sarada finally heard murmurs from downstairs, she sat up and climb down her bed. Holding one small stuffed animal, she tiptoed her way to the stairs and sat there high enough where she couldn't be seen from the living room but she can still hear clearly.
Something's up, she just know it.

"I don't even know when did they get here! And why the hell would they set me up with someone? Imagine they wanted me to marry a high school repeater! Can you believe that?! Just so Sasuke can stay away from me and Sarada. We were doing fine! Sasuke may not be seeing Sarada everyday but because he was just giving her space! He understands that this is too much for our daughter. And look, he has to go again now for good because of my parents!"

"There's something fishy right here. Sasuke wouldn't walk away just like that because your parents wanted you to marry someone else. I mean if you guys are doing fine, that's what you said," that voice was Uncle Naruto's.

"We were doing more than fine. Sasuke has been checking on us every single day without Sarada knowing..."

Sarada's eyes grew wide when she heard her mom said that. Uncle Sasuke's been checking up on them?
"...we even have planned everything for our daughter for next school year! But that Sasori guy, he said he was a goalie of Suna High. Remember when Itachi made MVP and made our school champions? Sasuke immediately thought that Sasori wanted revenge against Itachi. He got so scared for his brother since, well we all know Itachi is in no condition to brawl with some bothered weirdo from a high school sport, he could die! So they left and told me I should just give in to my parents wishes before someone else could get hurt!"

Sarada covered her mouth in shocked with her right hand, since she was holding her stuffed animal on the other hand. She couldn't believe it, Uncle Itachi might die? That sweet Uncle Itachi who'd color with him when Uncle Sasuke was busy typing on his computer. Uncle Itachi who'd play tickle with her at the car ride from Uncle Sasuke's office, and even at their own home. She suddenly missed Uncle Itachi and got scared that she might never see him again.

"Maybe that wasn't your parents intentions. How did they even knew this guy from Suna?" It was Aunt Hinata's voice.
"Yeah maybe your parents just wanted to scare Sasuke off," Uncle Naruto spoke again.

"Prolly because my parents have been traveling. But still, how exactly would they know how to scare Sasuke away? No one knows but us including Ino what really happened to Itachi and the Uchihas!"

"Something is not right. I'm sorry Sakura, but Sasuke did the right thing, he needed to lie low. Whether Sasuke was just overthinking everything or not, I will tighten security when it comes to tourists entering Konoha. Because if something bad happens again to Itachi, you know it's bad when Sasuke seeks for revenge. They may have their struggles, but the Uchihas are a very powerful clan, you know that."

What does Uncle Naruto mean? Why is he tightening security, why is there revenge?

"I just want my family to be whole again. I want Sarada to be spending time with Sasuke and have a normal father-daughter relationship," her mom said and she could hear her crying.

"Sakura, we all want that for Sarada," Aunt Hinata was like comforting her mom.
"You have to at least pretend that you're giving in to your parents wishes and see what that guy from Suna's true intentions are," Uncle Naruto suggested which made her mom cry a little louder.

Sarada could feel that her mother is in pain, and she wanted to hug her right at that moment. But she will be scolded at for still being up late. She could hear Aunt Hinata shushing her mother's cries. She missed Uncle Sasuke. Or she thought she should start calling him dad now. If he and her mom were fine, then that means it was her grandparents who made her mom sad.

Sarada's eyebrows met and was in deep thought, how is she going to comfort her mom when this was her grandparents' doing? She was thinking of her sweet Uncle Itachi as well, when her stuffed animal fell from her arm, all the way down to the the first floor of their house.

"Mr. Whiskers!" Sarada gasped quietly, looking at her toy that was now on their kitchen floor.

Naruto—since he was standing, while Hinata was comforting the crying Sakura on her lap as they were both seated on the couch—noticed something fell from the second floor.

Then suddenly light footsteps were heard as it slowly fades.
Sakura sat up immediately from Hinata's lap since she also heard it.
"Someone's been listening," Naruto mumbled.

Sakura suddenly stood up and ran towards the stairs, but before she even reached the staircase, she saw a stuffed animal on her kitchen floor and picked it up.
"Sarada?!" She yelled and rushed up the stairs.
Naruto and Hinata followed their friend.

When Sakura reached her daughter's room, she saw Boruto fast asleep, and beside him, her little kid covered by the comforter all the way up to her head.

"I know you're awake," Sakura said as she entered the room.
Sarada didn't move.
"Sarada, what are you doing up late? It's way past your bedtime," Sakura sounded so serious as she sat at the edge of the little girl's bed.
No sound, no movement was made by the toddler.

Naruto and Hinata were already by the door watching them, smiling.
"Come on Sakura, let her sleep for now. You can talk to her tomorrow," Naruto chuckled.
"You guys should spend the night here, it's already late. You guys can sleep in my room," Sakura suggested.
"Are you sure? Then where are you going to sleep?" Hinata asked.
"Don't worry about me, this is my house. I can manage," she answered.

Then Sarada heard footsteps fading away from her bedroom.