∆ THIRTY EIGHT ∆

Dedicated to Chadwick Boseman. A legend never to be forgotten!

"Babe."

Pregnancy. I couldn't come to terms with the fact that I was pregnant. The idea was crazy and outrageous. I had a baby inside of me, growing. I took a stealth look at my stomach and sighed with relief at my still flat stomach.

A baby. A human being. A whole human I would be bringing forth to life. I was certainly not ready to be a mother especially at age sixteen.

It was just one time. Few minutes. And, boom! A baby! A freaking baby was growing inside of me. If anyone had told me at the beginning of the term I would be in this predicament, I would have laughed so hard, labelling such person a liar.

The devastating news made me lose the race. I lost in every activity I took part in for the Interhouse Sports. Green house won despite me losing. Blue came second and Yellow third.

Having to pretended everything was fine hurt. Throughout the weekend, I had to fake the laughs and smiles while going through the shock of being pregnant. I couldn't risk anyone knowing what was up with me.

There could be a way this pregnancy could be transfered, either through some scientific or technological shit. I didn't even mind sending the pregnancy to someone who wanted it through Xender, Flashshare or even Bluetooth. I just couldn't have the baby, I would almost die of shame.

"Babe?" The waving of a hand made me snap out of my reverie. Daniel's forehead was wrinkled, his eyes watching me with scrutiny.

I faked a small smile, "I love Rottweilers too." We had been speaking about animals and somewhere in between I got lost in thoughts. His words just went into and out of my ears immediately, not registering them.

He gave me a stare, one to show he knew I was lying. It was obvious I zoned out of the conversation and my lie didn't do justice in convincing him.

I sucked in my lower lip, licking the dryness away then scrunched my nose, trying  to push my glasses up.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow, my hand leaving his. My fingers entwined on my lap as I played with the hem of my dark blue pleated skirt.

"Were you even listening to me?" He pressed his lips together, his elbows moving to my desk with concerned eyes peering at me. "What's up with you?"

I bit my lower lip after sighing. "It's nothing, Daniel."

His hand moved to my hands on my lap entwining our fingers together. "What's wrong? You've been distant lately. Or did I do something wrong?"

My eyes travelled from my plastic desk locker to the sparkling white board in front of the class and finally to the back of Rita's head. Her long hair was styled in Suku.

"Not at all. There's just a lot going on at home, at school and with me." Tears brimmed my eyes. Clasping them shut, I let out a shaky breath before opening my eyes.

"You can tell me," he gave my hand a slight squeeze. His brown orbs stared directly at mine and at that moment it was us and no one else, not even our noisy classmates.

A part of me wanted to tell him. It was his baby after all and he was responsible for us, the baby and I. "I am..." I mustered a big smile cutting myself short. "It's actually nothing, Daniel. Trust me."

His head dipped with a small smile, squeezing my hand.  "Your body tells otherwise though."

My brows furrowed. "I don't get you?"