∆ THIRTY SEVEN ∆

Dedicated to Pamsloaded

My grip on the pregnancy test stick loosened as both my hands trembled. Eyes on the small, white instrument, I blinked confirming the result. Again, I blinked to be sure I wasn't dreaming. And just like every test I'd taken, I passed. The result was positive. For the third time.

The pregnancy test fell on the cemented floor, a thud following after. Tears brimmed my eyes, my hands moved to my mouth clasping it to muffle the sobs slipping from them. I lost control of my legs making me fall to the ground.

My life was over!

Through my teary eyes, I could see one of the two girls reaching for the instrument I peed on. The blurry figure picked the test up and at the sound of two loud gasps I blinked hard, opening my eyes swiftly.

Zara had the pregnancy test holding it out for both of them. She was disappointed, at least that was what I saw. Disappointment. Anna's mouth hung open, still staring at the result.

We had hoped this time would be different. Different from the first two times I took the test earlier at school. My head was messed up but Zara was able to calm me and keep me optimistic about the third time being negative. Apparently, she was wrong. 

It had two red lines. Two red lines signifying my life was completely over. It was over for sure; my education, my dreams, my ambitions and then my entire life. All because of a baby! A whole human being inside of me.

Loud voices cheering erupted  the stadium; I was uncertain if it was for victory or loss. I didn't know, neither did I care. I had exigent things to worry about other than an Interhouse House Sport.

Leaning my back against the wall, I brought legs to my chest, my hands wrapping round them as I cried into my knees quivering.

A fraction of me believed I was pregnant while I took the malaria drugs as the symptoms persisted. There was always that little voice inside of me telling me not to take the drugs and it was of no use. I refused to believe that tiny voice whispering in my hear whenever I took my drugs during those three days. 

We used protection...the second time. The tiny voice notified.

The suspicious looks mum gave me whenever I left the living room to throw up or when I would eat ravenously even though I had snacks between meals made me anxious. Though she never said anything, I was sure she had formulated her own theories.

"What do we do?"

Anna's words made me raise my head. Both girls were still standing side by side, the pregnancy test stick in Zara hands.

What do we do? A humorless laugh went past my lips, sobbing and laughing at the same time. The question was a very funny one. I was the pregnant one. The sixteen year old pregnant girl whose life was about to be over and she asked, what do we do?

Their facial expressions contorted to that of perplexity as they peered at me pity in their eyes. Just like they pitied me I pitied myself. If not more.

"The right question should be what do I do." The back of my hands moved to wipe the mucus dripping from my nostrils. "I'm the pregnant one not you."

Anna's forehead wrinkled, a frown etching on her caked face. She appeared before me, my head turned sideways to gaze at the dilapidated wooden door instead, with my thoughts far away.

"...I am the friend of the pregnant one so it's our problem not just hers." Whatever she said before that I didn't hear or care to listen to but she was able to lift my spirit with that but I was still alone on this.