∆ EIGHT ∆

"Tobi, I want you to be my girlfriend." He says. "What do you say?"

His words stunned me. I thought he was only professing his love, I didn't expect him to ask me to be his girlfriend. I know it was inevitable after professing his love to me but I didn't expect it right away.

"Daniel," I called then move father away from him. "Can I have sometime to think about it?"

"Of course. Take your time." He tells me. "Whatever decision you make, I will make sure to respect it. I'm not the kind of guy to force a  girl to date him."

I nod. The tree's leaves makes sound as they move reminding us of their presence. I sit on a felled tree with my bag still strapped to my back.

"Let's swim." Daniel suggests while putting his bag on the tree I am seated.

"I can't swim." I state plainly.

He widens his eyes, "which human in this era can't swim?"

"Well, me." I answer with a casual shrug.

"Don't worry about that, I'll teach you. Just get swimming trunks and I can always teach you here after school."

"Actually, I'll pass on that tempting offer. I tell him.

"Why's that?"

"I would want a professional to teach me and not some Osun state local champion." I grin.

"Ouch!" He smiles while unbuttoning his shirt. "Well, you'll see how much of a professional I am now."

He divests from his school shirt and singlet and  trousers then gives them to me to hold for him. He removes his dark blue socks and put them in his shoes. He was only in his green boxer briefs and I could tell that he was big down there but that is none of my business.  His abs and muscles which has been hidden by his school uniform which is a white shirt and dark blue trouser is finally revealed to me.

"Like what you see?" He smirks enjoying the fact that I was checking him out.

"I've seen sexier guys so don't let your already big head swell."

"If you're speaking about those vampire diaries actors you fantasize about then keep dreaming about them cause you can't have them, so therefore you're stuck with my sexy abs." He runs a hand on his abs which inflates his ego.

"I don't know which is bigger between your head and ego."

He shrugs and walks to the river bank. "Watch a pro swim." He says referring to himself as a pro. He dives into the river then he starts to showcase his swimming skills, probably to impress me.

I was indeed impressed. He did all sort of stunts in the river as he swam. Shortly afterwards, I remove my shoes and socks and sit by the riverbank. I put my legs in the water and fold my skirt so it doesn't get drenched.

Daniel and I talked some more in the forest before we left the forest while holding hands.  He paid for my transport fare while he waited for his mum to come pick him up from school.

During my way home, I began to think about what lies I would tell my mum kept me in school till six-thirty in the evening.

I walked into the compound to see my mother standing in front of the door to our house. Her hand on her waist as she paces to and fro with a worrisome look plastered on her face. The moment she sets her eyes on me, she hisses and walks into the house.

"Good evening ma." I greeted my mother with fear in my heart. I just hope this woman will not whip me to death this evening.

"Oluwatobiloba, where are you coming from by this time? We all know your school closes by three 'o' clock so what kept you in school till..." She looks at the wall clock that's placed high above the television, "fifteen minutes to seven. If you don't want me to break that head of yours, just make sure to tell me the truth."

I pray mummy believes this lie am about to speak. "Our chemistry teacher told us we had to wait after school so he can get us prepared for practicals."

She glared at me, "you couldn't inform me? I was worried about you, Tobi!"

My mum was referring to me going to the school's secretary to call her. When I was in lower classes even till now, I would call my mum if I had to wait after school or if anything came up.

I gulped, "sorry ma. It didn't know our teacher would release us so late."

My mum sat on our black sofa and crossed her legs. "Go inside and change your uniform. Pele omo mi."

I let out a breath of relief silently. If my mother got to know I was with a guy after school and we were in a forest all alone, I am very sure I will be six feet under the ground.

"What of sister Deola and Remi?" The house is awkwardly quiet.

"They followed your grandmother to the car park. I'm very glad she's leaving. It's not like I hate her but, she nags too much."

I removed my bag from my back and placed it on the wooden stool  while sitting on the sofa next to mum.

"Mummy, we both know you hate her and it's not because she nags too much. There are so many reasons for the hatred, am I right?"

She smiles, "you are right my dear. One of my reason for liking you is how smart you are. You're not just academically smart but smart also in all ramifications." This makes me smile.

I am indeed smart, in fact the smartest of the Oyesile  girls. I'm one of the best science students in my school and I go for competitions almost all the time. As intelligent as I am, I've never gotten the first position no matter how hard I tried. I always have Aisha and Damilare to contend with. The funny thing about all these is that, they are both art students. If I'm not  second position overall, am third. My parents often engage in ridiculous quarrels on whose brain I inherited.

"Your grandmother's problem is just too much, always asking for a male grand child like you and your sisters aren't children." My mum hisses.

"Mummy, forget about that. Grandma should be the least of your worries. Don't think too much about that or else you'll look older than your age and that will make daddy start looking outside and am very sure we both don't want that, or do you want a rival?"

"Anyone who wants to be beheaded should become my rival." Mummy says making me giggle. "You girls are rivals enough."

My father is very close with all his daughters that sometimes my mum pretends to get jealous. My dad and sister Deola are the closest. They are so close  to the extent that sister Deola told daddy the first time she saw her period instead of mum.

"Tobi," my mum calls and I hum. "Just make me proud. I don't want all the words your grandmother says to be to true. I want you and your sisters to become so great, men will even respect you more than they respect themselves."

"Don't worry about that, mummy. The Oyesile  girls will make you proud." I smiled.

"Thank you, my daughter. Now go and change from your school uniform."

Glossary

Pele - means sorry in Yoruba.

Omo mi - means my child.