Chapter 14

A shrill whistle echoes in the hot gym. "What are you doing?" Coach Comen hollers. "Stop, stop, stop!"

Everyone freezes and looks around to try and figure out who he's yelling at. He points to a guy named George who is on the basketball team with me. George gets the most fowls out of the entire team so it doesn't surprise any of us that he's getting yelled at for something now.

"George, you cannot do that!" Coach Comen yells as he snatches the basketball from him. "Fowl!"

I look up at the tall ceiling as I pull my sticky shirt from my wet chest. Our first game is this Friday so Coach is working us extra hard. I pant for air and hardly have time to catch my breath before Coach is blowing his whistle for us to continue again. My cheeks puff out as I blow out air in exasperation. I love playing basketball but the coach is brutal.

"Pass the ball, George!" Coach Comen shouts. "Come on, Mathias is wide open!"

I watch George closely to see if he'll pass the ball or not. He gives me a look so I ready myself right before he passes the ball. Before I can get the ball someone bumps into me and we both fall forward. The ball flying towards me smacks me in the face and a second later my hands and knees smack into the hard floor and I slide a little from the guy bumping into me a second time.

I hiss as my knees feel the most pain. I roll over so I am sitting on my ass and pull my legs out in front of me to inspect.

"Aw, shit, sorry, Mathias," Someone says next to me.

My palms are scraped up with little beads of blood. They sting but not as bad as my knees. I was right to assume my knees took the brunt of it. Both my knees are scraped up with blood smearing them. I can't really tell how bad it actually is with all the smeared blood. It shouldn't really be that bad, it's probably mostly burned from the court.

"Mathias, Liam, are you both all right?" Coach Comen asks as he is suddenly right in front of me.

"I'm fine, just a little scrape. Mathias might need some attention, though," I now recognize Liam's voice beside me.

"You're right," Coach says as he stares at my knees. "You need to get those cleaned,"

I look up at him and nod my head. I definitely don't want to walk around with blood on my knees the rest of the period. Coach then surprises me as he grabs my chin and inspects my face.

"Your lip is bleeding and you're most likely going to have some bruising," He says.

My tongue darts out on instinct and I can taste the metallic blood. I don't even remember biting my lip. I reach up then and feel my tender cheek. Yep, I can already feel the bruising. That's just great. It will be fantastic to already have a bruise on my face before our real match begins.

"I can help him to nurse," My heart skips a beat at Ambrose's voice. He was playing the opposing side today and I try not to watch him too much during this class in order to focus so shit like this doesn't happen.

"Thank you," Coach says. "That would be good,"

I look over as Ambrose reaches out his hand for me to take. I lick my bleeding lip again and shake my head. His eyebrows pull together in confusion so I show him my bloody palms. He makes an expression that obviously means he understands before he grasps my bicep and helps me up that way instead. I hiss as pain rockets throughout both my knees. I'm lucky my knees just got scraped up and nothing worse. Falling on them as I did could have done way more damage than just some blood.

Ambrose notices my limp so as soon as we make it into the hallway he wraps his arm around my waist and lets me lean on him. Those hot sparks are all I can think about for a moment. But I do notice quite quickly that the pain lessens a little being so close to him. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it or something.