Chapter 3

No one took a seat as Mr. Banks walked in a few minutes after the bell and just stared at us all for a few seconds with an eyebrow raised.

"Weird," He mumbled under his breath before taking a seat behind his desk.

Mr. Banks doesn't say anything for a while as he looks down at a piece of paper he brought with him into the classroom. The class continues to talk to one another as Mr. Banks all but ignores us.

"Oh, Mathias," My heart skips a beat at the mention of my name. "I almost forgot," Mr. Banks says as he picks up a small piece of paper. "Here," He looks up and holds out the paper.

I take a deep breath and take three steps to get to his desk. I take the paper from him and read it. It's a hand-scribbled note from the secretary in the school's office. As I read the note my body goes tense and I bite my bottom lip hard enough to taste blood.

"Is everything alright?" Mr. Banks questions as he notices my reaction to the note.

I crunch up the paper in my fist as I nod my head stiffly. "Yeah, I'm fine," He knows it's a lie, though, as he raises an eyebrow at me. "I'm just-," I trail off as I point over my shoulder with my thumb at one of the desks to let him know I'm walking away now.

Mr. Banks nods his head before going back to looking at the first sheet of paper. He sighs heavily as he puts it up to his face. I move back to Eliza and Thora.

"Jace," He says. "Who's Jace?"

"That'd be me, sir," One of the new kids says.

"Good, good. And..." He clicks his tongue as he stares at the paper. "let's see here," He taps his pen on his chin a few times. "How about McKenna?" He says it more to himself but McKenna raises her hand anyway.

"Yes, Mr. Banks?" McKenna asks.

"You'll be Jace's buddy for the day," Mr. Banks replies. "Each homeroom student is getting paired with a student from Washburn High until they can get used to the school and how we do things here. So you'll be escorting Jace around for the day,"

"Okay," McKenna agrees.

My heart skips a beat. I wonder who's going to be paired with Ambrose. I hope to God it's not me. I would die! I mean, I would love to have him around me all day, but I'm not ready for that yet. But then again, I don't want anyone else to be paired with him. God! I'm so confused Right now!

"Rain?" Mr. Banks continues. Another new student raises her hand making Mr. Banks nod his head. "You'll be with Madison,"

I look down at my hand that has the note scrunched up in it. The note feels hot like it will burst into flames at any second. Why now? Why today? Why today when I have to worry about Ambrose being in the same school as me? I don't need this kind of added stress.

"Ambrose?" My heart nearly stops beating as Mr. Banks calls his name.

I refuse to look up so I have no idea if he does anything, but he sure doesn't say anything either. I gulp as I wait impatiently for Mr. Banks to say who his partner is.

"You'll be with William," I almost breathe a sigh of relief.

Relief from not being partnered with him. But it quickly turns to panic as I realize he's with Will. I snap my eyes over to Will to find him grinning ear-to-ear.

"Ambrose, huh?" Will grins. "I have a feeling we're going to be the best of friends," His eyes then slide to mine and he tilts his head ever so slightly at me.

I know the look on his face. I know what he's asking me. He's asking if this is the same Ambrose I've been madly in love with since elementary. Yes, William, this is the Ambrose. I want to punch him for some reason.