Chapter 12

Ravage growled behind me, his ears pinned back at the girl that stood in front of us. His lips were pulled back in a viscous snarl and his tail twitched fiercely as his muscles bunched.

Sophia did not look like the same girl that I had known. Her hair was limp against her unnaturally pale skin, clinging to it. She was unhealthy thin, her outfit hanging loosely around her. Her once bright eyes had dulled and sunken in, but they still held the same fierceness that I had seen during our last encounter.

"Predictable as always, Lora," Sophia sneered, looking at me with a cruel smile on her face. Four jagged scars ran down her face, courtesy of Ravage, given to her during their first confrontation. "saving the enemy."

"From MECH's clutches, I'd save anyone," I said, looking my old friend in the eye.

I caught a flicker of movement behind her, but didn't dare take my eyes off of Sophia. Wheeljack's first lesson that he constantly reiterated was to never let your enemy out of your sight, and I didn't intend to beak that rule.

"You're not as scared as last time," Sophia commented, taking in my determined gaze and posture with one sweep of her eyes.

"That's because I've conquered my fears." I held my head high, looking her in the eyes.

"Which would be?" She sneered.

"Being alone. I've realized that no matter where I am, I'm never truly alone."

"You are now." Sophia let out a huff, smirking as she pointed out what she thought was the truth.

"No, I'm not."

Doing what he did best, Smokescreen erupted from the boxes behind Sophia and tackled her to the ground, protecting me. Surprise grew on Sophia's face before she hit the ground, evolving into anger. Ravage let out a growl, a combination of hate for Smokescreen and gloating over Sophia's failure to detect my guardian.

Smokescreen wasn't dressed like he normally was, but was in MECH's uniform, minus the mask. Even with that, I still recognized him, as I always would.

Sophia let out a yell as her and the Autobot holoform scuffled on the ground. I could only watch.

I couldn't track what was happening, but soon, Smokescreen shoved Sophia away and rushed to his feet, backing up towards me, his knees bent and fists up.

"Quite the trouble you've gotten yourself into," Smokescreen said, casting me a quickly glance over his shoulder before returning his attention to Sophia, who was standing up and brushing herself off.

"Well, I have you to get me out of it," I said, putting a bit of sarcasm into my grin. Smokescreen let out a huff of amusement.

"That was cheap," Sophia muttered, wiping blood away from her broken nose.

Smokescreen only smirked.

"Sophia, what has happened to you?" I asked, looking at her again.

"What do you think happened?" She snapped.

"The Energon," I realized. "It's killing you."

"It posions me, but as perfect as you are, you're fine; their perfect weapon," she mocked. Smokescreen let out a warning growl, one that I had never heard before.

Taking a steadying breath, I spoke. "We can help you, give you back the life that was taken from you."

"Lora," Smokescreen warned as I stepped forward. I passed him a glare, telling him I knew what I was doing.

"We can cure you, if only you leave this awful world and life with MECH. Please, Sophia, come with us." Extending my hand, I looked to my old friend, my eyes pleading.

Hesitation flashed across her face, along with something else that I couldn't recognize, possibly hope. Then the mask of anger and hate dropped, turning into fear, but not for us. It was the fear of dying, the fear of the Energon that was within her and slowly killing her.

Hesitatingly, Sophia stepped forward, her hand coming closer to mine. I smiled reassuringly, nodding my head.

Suddenly, the world swayed, knocking me off of my feet. Ravage dug his claws into the floor as Smokescreen stumbled. I mentally cursed; I had failed to hear or notice that the plane was getting ready to take off.

The mask that had left Sophia came back, placed back on with an invisible hand.

Sophia fell and used the plane's takeoff to her advantage. She lunged towards me, but never made it.

Ravage leapt into the air, catching Sophia and throwing her to the ground. Smokescreen grabbed me and pulled me to my feet, shoving me behind him.

Ravage landed gracefully, his paws hitting the ground as he swung around to face Sophia, teeth bared. Sophia slid backwards along the slippery ground. Despite her sliding, she controlled it. The toes of her shoes the only thing on the ground other than her hand. As soon as the soles of her feet hit the boxes that Smokescreen had erupted from a few minutes ago, she stood up. Then the fight was on.

Ravage swiped, claws shredding the boxes behind Sophia. She rolled beside him, and he swiped at that spot too, ripping a hole in the side of the plane. Air rushed out, and like that, Smokescreen's arms were around me, tackling me towards Ravage's old cage. My guardian grabbed hold of the bars, one arm around me the other clutching the metal for dear life.  With his immense strength, he held me in place as the air pressure changed. Luckily the plane was still taking off.

In that brief moment, Ravage and Sophia had moved their fight. All Sophia could do was dodge and roll as Ravage swiped clawed foot after clawed foot, adding in the occasional snapping of teeth. The added air pressure didn't help Sophia. Ravage just needed to dig his claws in to stay still, putting Sophia at a disadvantage.

Sophia rolled right to where Ravage had predicted. The metal cat swung his tail, catching her in the chest as she stood up. I could hear the breath knocked out of her as she flew across the plane, heading right towards the hole that was growing bigger by the second. Sophia landed a few meters short of the hole, but was quickly pulled out.

"Sophia!" I screamed as she flew out of the plane.

"Lora!" Smokescreen yelled as I squeezed out of his grasp. I ran, my feet sliding as I scrambled to get to Sophia. I grabbed a leather strap attached to the wall as I swung to the gaping hole.

"Grab my hand," I called over the roaring wind. My hair whipped around my face as I extended my free hand to Sophia, who desperately clutched onto the shredded metal of the plane.

She looked up to me, her own limp hair flailing around as the ground grew farther away. In her eyes were hope, filling them up.

"You can't save everyone," was the last thing she said as she let go, falling back into the air.

"SOPHIA!" I screamed, my hand still extended.

I could do nothing but watch as gravity claimed her.