Chapter 9

Smokescreen's P.O.V.
I drove down the road, but in MECH's car as my holoform. Behind me was the truck, driven by Wheeljack in his holoform. Behind him was Bee, Ultra Magnus, Bulkhead, and Optimus, who was pulling the trailer in which Wheeljack and I had parked our bodies in.

"You know, this is really weird driving," I said. "It's a really strange and an oddly horrifying experience."

"Couldn't agree with you more," Wheeljack said as all of us pulled into a parking lot.

On Swoop's reconnaissance mission, he had spotted this parking lot near MECH's base. It was the perfect spot for us all to park, get into MECH's vehicles as our holoforms, and continue on towards their warehouse base.

All of us parked, and I turned off my holoform, returning to my body. I waited as Wheeljack backed out of the trailer, then left it too. Parking for the second time in a minute, I returned to my holoform and stepped out. Everyone else was standing, and it was odd looking at everyone since we all had MECH clothing on.

"I'll be in the sky," Swoop said. I looked up to his shape that was high above the clouds. "If anything changes out here, you'll be the first to know."

Optimus nodded his head. Optimus was the easiest one to recognize as him under the mask; he held himself the way a leader would. I didn't need to see his face to know that.

"Let's move," Optimus said. All of us split up, entering our designated vehicles.

"You want to drive?" I asked Wheeljack.

"Na, too crazy for me. I already did it once, I don't need to do it twice," he said, moving to get in on the passenger side.

"Fair enough."

With that, we followed the car, driven by Optimus, out of the parking lot and towards the MECH base.

"But, if we ever have to do this again, I'm not driving," I declared, turning to Wheeljack as I spoke.

"Optics on the road!" Wheeljack yelled, pointing.

"Oh, yeah," I chuckled, returning my gaze to the road and the car in front of me. "I forgot that I have to do that now and not multitask."

"Maybe I should have driven," Wheeljack muttered.

We didn't talk anymore as I drove. I was concentrating as much as I could on the road, since now I didn't have my adept senses anymore. This was not an experience that I wanted to do again. I felt too vulnerable and in the open; I hated it.

Wheeljack just looked out of the window the whole time, his posture telling me that he was bored.

Not far from the city, just like Swoop and the map had said, sat MECH's base. It was hidden on an almost unnoticeable back road and in an old warehouse that couldn't been seen from the nearby town or the main road. If I hadn't known where to go, I definitely would have missed the turn.

Two guards stood positioned on either side of the gate, walking back and forth with their guns held close to their chests. Optimus drove closer with no hesitation, not like he would hesitate, and I was only left to follow.

"Pretty small security," Wheeljack noted as we drove closer.

"I don't think they're expecting us, or any trouble for that matter," I thought out loud. "For once, we might be a step ahead of them."

"Well, let's just hope that we keep the element of surprise up until the very end when we're leaving. It would be amazing to watch MECH fall apart without them even knowing how they were being taken down so quickly. After everything they've done, the payback needs to be epic."