Kabanata 35.1

Hello! This is the last chapter of All at Once! Thank you for reaching this far. Magkita-kita po tayong lahat sa Wakas 🙂.

Kabanata 35.1

ROGAN MICAEL ZOBEL

Ever since I was young, I dreamed to be an engineer. To work in the engines and to create things, I guess that is where I am good at. My father knows my potential but the moment he planned for my future, I know somehow he wouldn't let me have what I want.

"You're going to get a business course in college, Ro. Rai is already on the engineering course at wala siyang balak na pamahalaan ang business. Raegan is not also capable of doing the corporate business, so I entrust everything to you." My father gave me a stern look. No matter how I want to fight for what I've dreamed of, I couldn't win against him. My father knew me well. He knows that I could let go of the things I want to fulfill his.

It has always been that way.

I ended up getting the business course as promised. It's not easy, not when I want to do is to become an engineer. Kinaya ko naman kasi kailangan. It's not like the business course is easier. Wala namang madali.

In college, I met friends. Formed a band. My father did not oppose to the idea of me joining a band as long as I get to graduate college. The best thing that happened to me was joining Absinthe. There is pure happiness whenever I play my guitar, singing and enjoying the crowd.

And then one time, the most interesting thing happened to me. With my eyes closed, I sang the lyrics of the song.

Sometimes I feel stuck
Sometimes I get lost in so much hope I'm drowning

Would you save me a spark? (Oh-Whoa)
We'll start a fire that shines a light in the dark
Strike a match
Make it last
We are all we need (Whoa)
Would you save me a spark?
We'll light up the dark

The moment I opened my eyes is the moment where I saw her clearly. In the sea of people, I saw her smiling, eyes sparkling with every beat of the song. The innocence in her eyes was there.

It made my heart thump wilder for some unknown reason. If it was for the beat of the music, it could be possible. But it was different. I was drawn to her innocence and the way her eyes sparkles.

I could never forget that face. On my first semester in college, I always see her in our department. She was a business administration student and she was always alone. The only time I see her with someone was during lunch break or when school hours are over.

I never saw her around the building  anymore. I thought she transferred schools but one time, I saw her in the cafeteria with her friends, wearing the school's girls uniform. I was suddenly happy about seeing her again.

At hindi ko maintindihan ang sarili kung bakit. I've met different girls way back. Dad would always invite someone's daughter in a party to be introduced to me. Gusto niyang may magustuhan ako but none of them entice me unlike the girl I see around our department. Is it because of her eyes? They were shaped like thin almonds or was it her lovely cheekbones? It's cute never she tries to smile.

Watching her from afar became a habit. I could never be with her. That's what I always thought because I know, it wouldn't happen. Not when my Dad is in control of everything. So I just watched her silently. For two years, I just watched her from afar.