sixty-five

________________________________

ALEX DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK AS SHE WATCHED HER OLD TEAMMATES STEP OUT OF THE CAR. HER FIRST THOUGHT went to Scott Lang, who they had counted in the Vanished. Seeing him gave her an ounce of hope, but then again, so did seeing Loki. And he, apparently, didn't vanish. He just disappeared from her.

No hard feelings, as you can see.

However, she rushed outside to embrace Steve. She suddenly became emotional upon seeing him, and remorseful that she dodged so many calls.

"God, you look so different," He mumbled into her hair.

"Mourning will do that to you," She half-laughed, half-cried.

After embracing both Natasha and Scott, Alex stepped aside so Tony could walk over. He looked positively peeved that they had dropped in unannounced, and ignored a 'be nice' look from Alex. He sighed, and gestured for them to come inside.

Alex got a pitcher of sweet tea for everyone, sitting down on the porch with the group. She poured the glasses, listening to Scott talk for about ten minutes about absolute nonsense.

And by nonsense, she meant time travel.

"Now, we know what it sounds like..." Scott said to Tony, who was deep in thought.

"Tony, after what you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Steve jumped in.

Tony sighed. "Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition. Can we agree on that?"

Everyone displayed a blank face.

"In Layman's terms, you're not coming home."

"I did," Scott chimed.

"No, you accidentally survived. It's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull off a... What do you call it?"

"...A time heist."

Alex snorted, then tried covering it up with a cough.

"Yeah, a time heist. Of course, why didn't we think of this before? Oh, because it's laughable? Because it's a pipedream?" Tony jabbed.

"The Stones are in the past. We can go back and get them."

"Tony, we can snap our own fingers. We can bring everyone back," Alex spoke up.

"I can't believe you're considering this." Tony said to her. "Or, we screw it up worse than he already has? What are your motives for this, hm? Go back and save Reindeer Games so he can break your heart again?"

Alex fell silent. She was unsure whether or not it was a good idea to disclose that Loki never vanished. Then again, she had no reason to protect him.