twenty-seven

─────────────────

THE PARTY WAS A DIM YET VIBRANT ATMOSPHERE. EVERYONE SEEMED TO BE ENJOYING THEMSELVES, DRINKING AWAY AT Tony's liquor cabinet. Thor talked to some war vets, and Clint chatted with the nurse who healed him. 

Alex was with Steve, who was playing pool with a friend of his. 

"Sam, this is Alex, newest member of our initiative," Steve introduced. "Alex, this is a friend of mine."

"It's nice to meet you," Alex smiled. 

"So you're the one that can take all my energy," Sam grinned. "Women have said that I can do the same,"

"Oh, come on," Steve rolled his eyes. 

"I'm sure they do." Alex laughed. 

She walked over to Tony and Thor, who were listening to someone tell a story. 

"--drop it at his feet. I'm like 'Boom. You looking for this?" He finishes. 

Neither Thor nor Tony laughed. 

"'Boom. You looking for--why do I even talk to you guys?" 

"I didn't hear it all, but I'm sure it was funny." Alex said politely. 

"It wasn't," Tony jabbed. "This is Alex. Protegé, experiment, whatever you wanna call her."

"Right, well you can call me Rhodey."

"Nice to meet you, Rhodey." 

"So, no Pepper?" Agent Hill chimed in. Tony shook his head. 

"What about Jane?" Alex inquired. 

"Ms. Potts has a company to run,"

"Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane is in. Her work in the Convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer,"

Hill and Alex locked eyes, both scoffing at their ego contest. 

"And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on Earth," Tony pointed. "Pretty exciting," 

"There's even talk of Jane getting a, uh, Nobel Prize,"

"Thor, I am shocked you even know what that is." Alex said, earning a chuckle from Rhodey. 

"They must be busy, because they'd hate missing you guys get together." Hill said, then coughing obnoxiously. "Testosterone,

"Oh my, do you need a lozenge?" Alex played along.

Hill and Rhodey walked off, leaving Alex with the two men. 

"So, you enjoying yourself? Get a little frisky with the whiskey?" Tony said.