sixty-four

________________________________

ALEX SPENT THE NEXT DAY AT THE HOUSE. SHE DIDN'T FEEL LIKE DEALING WITH THE THOUSANDS OF QUESTIONS that awaited her at the office. She reluctantly watched the news channel, where her outburst was the top story. 

"Alexandra Clark, seen lashing out at a reporter at the Stark Industries press conference yesterday. Was she justified in doing so?"

"Honestly, Mark, I think she is. She's clearly still healing from the traumatic events five years ago. We all are. For someone to get up in your face and say it's your fault, that's a lot to take."

"Now, now, I disagree. For us ordinary people, we couldn't do anything to stop it. Her, the Avengers? That's their damn job, isn't it? Who can we trust to save us, if not them? I--"

Alex angrily switched the television off. 

"Don't watch the news." She heard. 

"Too late." 

"They're a bunch of idiots. They don't know shit about what happened that day." Tony comforted. 

"Still sucks." She mumbled. "How was the meeting?" 

Tony waved his hand, making a 'pfft' sound. 

"They wanted to make sure that, you know, the West end of the company doesn't...."

Alex zoned out. She was interested in the meeting, sure, but she had more on her mind. Her thoughts went back to the figure she saw in her mirror the night before, and why it was there. Surely, it was her imagination. 

However, she was unsure of why her imagination would even conjure up something of the nature, given she had put those feelings in a box years ago. 

She glanced down at her fingers, feeling the familiar buzz of energy orbiting around. She hadn't used her powers at all really. She didn't see the need to anymore, but if she was being honest, she was scared to. The last time she used them, she had almost gotten herself killed. 

"Are you even listening?" Tony's voice interjected. 

"Yes, sorry."

"So, I might want you out there, in that West branch. Temporarily, of course, but I don't trust anyone else with something so big. I'd go, but I've got Morgan, and you know--"

"--Tony, Tony, of course I'll go. I can run back and forth if need be."

"This is why you're the face of Stark Industries."

"Really? I thought it was because of my stunning features,"

"If by stunning, you mean painstakingly average, then sure." Tony jabbed.