twenty-six

________________________________

ALEX STEPPED OUT OF THE ELEVATOR INTO THE PENTHOUSE LEVEL WITH STEVE ON HER HEEL. SHE SAT DOWN ON THE COUCH, her legs aching for a break after the prolonged fight. Steve walked over to the bar.

"Water?" He called, pouring his drink.

"Bourbon."

He rose his eyebrows. "Alrighty."

He walked over with their drinks, handing Alex her glass. He took a sip, sitting down on the chair adjacent to the couch.

"God, where do I even start?" She chuckled.

"Wherever you want."

"Well, I guess I'll start from the beginning. He took me to Asgard, you know that. He put me in a cage. He constricted me. Then,"

She paused, taking a sip of her drink.

"Then what?"

"Then..he taught me to fight. He told me I was powerful. We fought, many times. I met his mother. I watched his mother die," She listed. "I held his hand at her funeral,"

Steve listened intently, trying to understand. Although, the rollercoaster of events were throwing him off guard.

"I helped him fight for Thor. I watched him fucking die,"

"He died?" Steve gaped.

"You didn't let me finish. It was an illusion. He came back, but he was different. He was...good. He trained me. And then he gave me away."

Steve pursed his lips. "Doesn't sound like that much happened."

"That's the thing, everything happened."

"How do you mean?"

She sighed. "I fell. I did. He made me feel so powerful, and I loved every minute of it. I loved when he told me I could do anything. He made me think I was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen."

"I see."

"His mother told me all about how he grew into such a hateful person, and I wanted to help him. I thought I could help him, but," She chuckled. "I was naive. Incredibly, stupidly, naive."

"It's not naive to want the best for someone."

"It's naive to think you are the best for someone."

Steve furrowed his brows as he looked at her. What was once a hopeful, innocent girl who just wanted to help was now a determined yet hopeless girl.

"I once was in love." Steve said.

"Woah, who said anything about love?"

"She was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen," Steve ignored her. "I never really got to tell her."