thirty-nine

_______________________________

"WE'RE ON WEEK THREE OF THIS TRAINING, YOU SHOULD BE GETTING STRONGER."

Alex exhaled, catching her breath. She stood up, accepting Loki's assistance. 

"I can tell everything you're going to throw at me. How can I get better if I know what to expect?"

"Well, I can't very well create a war for you, now can I?"

Since she consumed the vines, Loki pushed her to train with them. At first, she was getting stronger as each day passed by. However, now, she had reached a plateau. 

"I know, and I appreciate you training me. I'm just frustrated." She said, sitting down on a bench in the gardens. 

He walked over to sit next to her. "I know, my love. Let's take a break, yes?"

"No, I can do this."

"Alright, get in position."

Alex walked about thirty yards from Loki, and shook out her hands. She jumped up a couple times to get her blood flowing, and nodded to him. 

Loki conjured an image of a man, looking the same as the other forty he'd conjured that day. The man was basic looking, and was meant to simulate a fight. He charged at Alex, who was ready to strike. 

As soon as the man approached her, she ducked to avoid his punch. After he stumbled, she swept his leg. Once the man was on the ground, she was able to get her hands around his arm. She straddled the man, and once he squirmed under her grasp, she drained his energy. 

"Must be a record time."

"Funny," She spoke, getting up as the image disappeared. 

"How about a real target?"

"Oh, no," She feigned fear. 

"Oh, yes,"

She looked over, and Loki was running toward her. 

"Fine," She cracked her knuckles.

Loki slid under her punch, chuckling. She huffed and caught his wrist, pulling him back toward her. He stumbled on top of her, and pinned her right arm down. With her left, she pulled his hair, earning a grunt from Loki. 

"Now, now, don't play dirty."

"What ever could you mean?"

She tried to drain him, but he switched their positions to make her lose focus. She knew his tricks, however. Once on top of him, she caressed his face before freezing him in place. 

"You really are the worst," He could barely speak.

"So you've said."

She stood up, and offered her hand as a joke. He only scowled at her hand, only his eyes moving. After a few seconds, he could move again.