forty-four

______________________________________

THE QUINJET SOARED THROUGH THE AIR, SET ON AUTOPILOT STRAIGHT FOR SIBERIA. STEVE AND BUCKY CHATTED at the front seats, while Alex rested. 

"What's going to happen your friends?" Bucky had asked. 

"Whatever it is, I'll deal with it." Steve assured. 

"I don't know if I'm worth all this, Steve."

Steve looked over at his best friend of decades. The hurt in Bucky's eyes almost physically pained him. 

"What you did all those years...it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice." 

"I know," Bucky glanced over to Alex, who seemed sound asleep. "But I did it." 

Alex couldn't fully fall asleep, but rather, listened to the calming voices of the pair at the front. She felt as though she was intruding on their conversation so she stood up so Steve could take his turn. 

"Steve," Alex said groggily. "You know what I just realized?"

"What's that, kid?" 

"Where the hell is Thor?"

Steve chuckled as he walked to the back area of the Quinjet, taking the blanket from Alex. 

"We never know where Thor is." 

"Thor?" Bucky asked from the front. 

"I don't believe you've had the pleasure of meeting Thor, but he not only is the God of Thunder, but uh, is the brother of her boyfriend." Steve winked at Alex. 

She smiled, stretching her limbs. Her suit was still on, the spandex sticking very tightly to her skin. She walked to the front of the ship where Bucky sat to watch the controls, and took a seat next to him. 

"Have a nice nap?"

"Couldn't really fall asleep," She admitted. "I'm a bit restless these days,"

"May I ask why?" 

"I'm not sure, to be honest with you. Adjusting to Asgard, maybe. Fighting with Tony also messes with my mind. The disappointment that was so evident in his face," 

Bucky's eyes were trained on the sky in front of them. "He scares me."

Alex turned to look at Bucky before laughing. "He scares you?"

"Yes," He defended. "He's got that father look, and fathers never liked me."

"What, were you just the delinquent of the 1940's?" 

"I was in the army, so, no, but I did leave a trail of broken hearts that sent some dads chasing after me," Bucky chuckled, which was the most she had ever seen.