fifty-four

__________________________________

ALEX LOOKED BETWEEN THANOS AND LOKI CONFUSEDLY, WONDERING IF SHE HEARD INCORRECTLY. THANOS saw this confusion, chuckling lowly to himself. Loki's feet were planted, as if he couldn't move. Thor, his mouth covered, couldn't speak his mind, but he was also utterly shocked.

"Loki turned to the correct side a long time ago." Alex defended. "Right, Loki?" 

She looked to him, but her heart dropped when she saw his face. He didn't look at her, but to the floor. 

"Loki?

Hearing his name again, he looked up. He met her eyes, which were full of confusion and that same desperation she had so long ago. He looked away almost instantly. Loki finally moved, walking across the room, over Heimdall's dead body. 

Right to Thanos' side. 

"You look confused, Alex." Thanos spoke. His voice never changed pitch, as if his words were enough to instill fear. 

"How the fuck do you know my name?" She snarled. 

"Loki's been reporting your progress to me ever since the day he held you captive. Why, when I sent him down to New York to wreak havoc on your world, I also gave him a simple task: learn as much as possible about this 'source of energy' I'd heard about. He's done a superb job, don't you think?" 

Alex looked back to Loki, who avoided her stare once again. He knew that he would only find hatred in those wide eyes of hers. 

"What truly impressed me, Loki, was your idea of keeping one of the stones on her. Keeping an eye on both treasures, at the same time."

Loki simply nodded. 

Alex looked down at her chest, the glowing stone at the end of the chain never faltering. She had never understood the capacity of it until now. Loki had remained so mysterious about its power, and she now knew why. 

"So, I'll need that." Thanos continued, nodding to her chest. "Once you hand it over, you may join me at my side. Your energy should be enough to wield power from these stones, once I have collected them in their entirety."

"You're fucking delusional." She spat. "And you," 

Loki dared to look at her. 

"I should've seen this coming. I should've know people don't change--that you don't change." 

If her words hurt, he didn't show it one bit. She couldn't even stand to look at him. What she saw, she barely recognized. The man, who not even hours ago was caressing her gently and lovingly, now was the traitor before her. 

"I'm afraid that's not the answer I was looking for." Thanos lifted his gloved hand, the purple stone glowing as he wielded power to use against her.