24

An enormous beast, blacker than a starless, stormy night launched itself at Frederick, drowning him in its endless, insatiable darkness.

It was a creature that didn't belong to these times; an indomitable being, more ancient than the written human history. It emitted a power greater than a mortal's mind could comprehend. Its aura was terrifying, yet awe striking at the same time.

The beast tore, and it shredded, and it bit, painting the floor and the walls with crimson stains. Its roars resonated in the small space, muffling the man's screams and pleas for mercy. The being's wild, glowing eyes feasted on the human's agony. It was enjoying itself.

A soul crushing snap, and then... silence.

I blinked.

The beast was gone.

In its place stood Sebastian, tall and dignified, yet rage contorting his graceful features. I've never witnessed him so infuriated before.

But his face softened when he turned towards me; relieved.

He brought me into a tight embrace, pulling me against his strong chest, and we sank to the floor together. The demon was hot to the touch from the transformation and all the power still rushing through him, instantly warming up my cold limbs.

Sebastian buried his face in the crook of neck and breathed me in, as if not having seen me for ages and not mere minutes.

He held me as closely and tenderly as my mother held me when I was little and she was still alive. His strong arms created a shield between me and the rest of the world, and I finally found myself at ease.

I knew it then that I was safe.

I let myself sink completely into his arms. A long, shattered breath that I was holding finally found it's way out, making warm tears begin leaking uncontrollably down my face.

I sobbed and I cried, and Sebastian only clasped me tighter.

He kissed the top of my head, and caressed my back, and rocked me softly from side to side.