13

Sebastian's POV

The black butler followed Y/N with his eyes as she ran out of the sunroom, leaving him all by himself.

The stinging red marks on Sebastian's hand began disappearing as he healed.

The blow was like a mosquito bite to him, annoying at most. The butler wasn't bothered by the fact that she had hit him, he'd had way worse masters than that, but rather by the 'why' behind it. He simply didn't understand what made her do it.

Sebastian hadn't done anything different from all the other piano lessons they had, so what had changed? Clearly, he'd triggered the reaction when he touched her hand, but why?

He picked up his glove from the floor and slid it back on.

Was she really that bothered by his touch?

She never was before. Not when he dressed her, or shielded her during fights or even picked at her just to be annoying.

It was weird to him because Y/N always kept her cool in all kinds of situations. The only reason she'd be on her nerves like this is if he really, REALLY bothered her. But how exactly was he making her so nervous?

There were two possible answers that he could think of.

The first would be that he scared her and she didn't want him close to her.

The second would be that she liked him and didn't want to admit that she wanted him close.

Two complete opposite scenarios, yet both very plausible. Sebastian dared hope that it was the second one that was playing out.

The only thing that was left for him to do now, was to figure out which of the two was really going on.

"Right," he concluded out loud to himself and headed out of the sunroom and up the stairs, towards Y/N's sleeping chambers.

Upon arriving at the wooden door, small sobs reached his ears.

Don't cry. You didn't hurt me, he thought.

Sebastian's chest tightened at the thought that she cried for his sake. He ran a hand over his face.

"Can I come in?" The demon asked after knocking. He had to comfort her. Y/N didn't have to feel bad. Not about him.

She wasn't answering. Sebastian was about to ask once again when, "can you call Mey-Rin here?"

Mey-Rin?

Those words struck Sebastian way harder than the blow from before. Something seemed to shatter inside of him.

She didn't want him.

Did he finally completely lose her trust? Was she afraid of him after all?

"As you wish, my lady."

(A/N nooooo Sabby don't be sad 😭 now I am sad writing this)

Y/N POV

Mey-Rin knocked at my door a few minutes later. I wiped away my tears before letting her in.

She saw me sitting on the floor and immediately hurried to my side, "my Lady, are you alright?"

"Yes, thank you Mey-Rin," I reassured the maid and let her help me back up on my feet, "I think I might just have had a small panic attack, but I'm okay now."

"Was it something Sebastian said? Are you mad at him?" She suddenly asked, grabbing my arms, as if ready to fight him for my sake.

"What? No, of course not," I answered, surprised.

"Sorry, my Lady. That's just the kind of feeling I got, yes I did. Otherwise why would you ask me here instead of your butler?"

It was hard to see May-Rin's expression behind the thick glasses that covered half of her face, but I tried my best to keep my own face straight when answering.

"Ah, if anything, Sebastian's the one who should be mad at me," I told her with a laugh, "he's doing his best, yet I just keep ruining everything. I'm too ashamed of myself to even face him."

Feeling as my emotions were coming back to the surface, I quickly turned my back towards Mey-Rin and asked, "can you do these back up?" I motioned towards the dress. I could hardly take it off, but putting it back on was simply impossible by myself.

"Yes, my Lady," she answered and started on the corset.

"You can make it tighter," I told her.

The way she strapped it was so wobbly compared to how Sebastian did it. He was strong as hell (literally), yet he never overtightened it and was always considerate of my preferences regarding clothes.

I sighed after realizing that I was thinking about him again.

"Sebastian's not mad at you, you know," said Mey-Rin behind me, "he looked sad when he came to get me, he did."

Sad? Why would he be sad?

That perplexed me.

"Maybe you should just be sincere with him," the maid suggested, finishing with the clothes, "you can never go wrong with the truth."

The truth...

"Thank you, Mey-Rin," I told her and turned around to face her, "I'll do some work and will come down for dinner later."

"As you wish," the girl bowed and took her leave.

I waited until the sound of her footsteps faded down the stairs, then headed for the study.

Be sincere, huh?

Easier said than done.

___________________________________

BOOM, another chapter done

Thank you for reading 🥰

(Credit to artist)