12

Y/N's POV

The piano was moved to the sunroom for the summer, so that is where I headed once the hands of the clock met at its peak. I came up to the open door, but hesitated to walk in as a sweet melody reached my ears.

Sebastian's playing was out of this world. I didn't recognize the song, yet it called to the deepest parts of me with every gentle note.

Peaking through the door, I saw the black butler seated with his back to me, the long tails of his coat bangling off the stool and all the way to the floor. His gloved hands danced up and down the piano keys with all elegance, never smudging or missing a note. His whole body moved with accordance to the music, as if he was a part of the instrument.

I leaned against the doorframe and observed him at work.

The melody was reaching its peak and I held my breath, filling my chest with the purity of the sound instead. Powerful yet gentle, Sebastian's fingers reached the final set of keys and he stilled, letting the chord linger in the air for a little longer before being completely washed away by the silence.

The demon casually turned to face me, as if he was aware of my presence the whole time, and I averted my eyes, still not over the events of this morning.

"Ready for the lesson?" He chimed.

"Yeah."

I was really tempted to compliment his playing, but how do I get the words out without having my heart begin to race?

"What was that song?" I finally asked, giving up on the compliment.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that," Sebastian said, much to my surprise.

"Why not?"

His answer only having sparked my curiosity further, I reached for the music sheets set before him, but the demon grabbed them before I had the chance to. He outstretched his hand and set the sheets ablaze with the simple power of his will. Incinerated in an instant, grey dust fell from his glove and dispersed through the air, the last of the song completely disappearing before my eyes.

"Because," said Sebastian, "it has not yet been written."

"What do you mean?" I asked after taking a moment to chew the words over, "are you saying that it's from the future? How is that even possible?"

The corners of the demon's mouth tugged upwards to form a smirk, and a malicious red glow danced across his dark irises. He cocked his head to one side and asked, "are you ready for the lesson, my lady?" Making it clear that he's not willing to explain.

I could order the truth out of him, but I got a feeling that this was one of those immortal beings' things that getting myself involved in would only mean trouble, so I decided to let it go.

"Ready when you are," I told him.

Sebastian stood up from the piano stool and motioned for me to take his place. While I adjusted myself on the seat, he pulled out more music sheets and lay them out on the stand before me.

It was a piece that I've been practicing for quite a while now, so, feeling confident, I sprang into action right away.

I only got through the first few lines when Sebastian put up his hand, willing me to stop, and I did.

"You're being too rough," he said, "relax, loosen your wrists."

I grunted and did as he said, starting from the beginning.

The butler took a step closer to me; I could see his dark tailsuit with my sideview. It immediately reminded me of this morning, when I woke up with my body against hi...