// thirty-five //

•The Art of Saying Nothing•

••••••

••••••

T H E  D I M  L I G H T I N G  of an interrogation room helped Reina fight her hungover, but not even the dark atmosphere lessened the horrible feeling in her chest. It made her suffocate, plead for air and every breath felt heavier and more undeserving.

What had happened was a nightmare, but Reina knew she wasn't going to wake up anytime soon. From now on, things were going to be worse, especially after the burden of not being there for her friend, her once best friend.

Marina was dead, killed and left alone to die, to catch her final breaths of air and finally loose it. Reina wanted to scream her lungs out as she remembered her last words to a fellow redhead. Fuck you, Marina. You should feel what I feel instead of me. Nobody deserved to hear those final words, but it was already too late to take them back.

Being interrogated for her friend's murder was last thing Reina wanted to do, but everyone already did it. And she was last. Whatever others, even Ander, had said bugged her mind deeply, not knowing what her ex-boyfriend could think. Truthfully, not even Reina herself knew what to think. "Reina, you seem very nervous," a woman in front of her asked curiously, the same news bringer, which left everyone at ruins. The redhead older female in front of her tapped her pen against her notebook, which made the girl raise her eyes up to finally meet the investigator's eyes.

"Where's my father?" she then asked, surprising herself by the hoarse tone, her once soft voice gone just like her innocence in this matter.

Reina came unbeknownst to Alejandro since after the funeral she was sure to keep her word and owe him nor Susana nothing, simply wanting freedom to heal. So far, it was unsuccessful.

The woman pursed her lips, keeping her annoyingly curious expression on. Reina felt a lump in her throat, her head throbbing so her clasped hands reached for a glass of water. She drank all of it, refusing to meet the woman's eyes. Guilty, she felt so guilty without having done nothing. "He's coming, but it's just a normal conversation. You don't have to worry."

Reina knew it was a lie. Nothing about a 16 year old rich girl involved with her friend's murder was normal. But she had to calm herself down. After all, she didn't do it, sure about it 96% while the other 4 bugged the living hell out of her. Not directly, at least, but Reina knew that what happened to Marina Nunier was all of their pushes. All of their choices led to such a horrible consequence.

Nevertheless, Reina could only nod, looking down once again before raising her eyes up, upon hearing the woman speak up. "Let's talk about Marina since that's why we're here. You two were best friends, right?"

With a deep sigh and an aching heart, Reina shook her head. "We used to be, but we drifted apart."

The inspector scribbled something down, leaving Reina to wonder who did it. Who was so fed up with Marina to kill her? The answer was simple, too many people, including her.