// three //

Joke's On You•

••••••

••••••

T H E N E W K I D S were starting to grow to the students of Las Encinas like a rash. Not surprisingly, of course, since Christian didn't make it easy - he was everything and more of how the rich folk imagined poorer people to be like. The other two, however, tried to steer off of any attention given their way, Nadia having removed her hijab, but Reina knew that she didn't do it voluntarily, especially after Lucrecia had blown Reina's ears out about the girl.

Reina saw nothing wrong with Nadia or her religion, though, just maybe new competition to the Montesinos female, who hated everyone as close of being smart as she was.

The unnecessary dramas were annoying Reina, who, just like these two smarter students, stayed clear off of them, or at least tried to. Susana didn't make it easy for her, because the next morning, when Reina entered the kitchen, she was met by her mother's warm hug, clearly in need of something.

Reina hugged Susana back, though, allowing herself to swim in the warmth of her mama's body, something she knew she'd always need. "Hey, is everything okay?" Reina asked in worry, deciding to pull away after a good minute of just cuddling her mom.

Susana nodded her head before stroking Reina's cheek gently. "Well, yesterday you came home late and I was too tired to ask you how everything went, but we have now, am I right?" Susana asked, grasping onto Reina's hands.

Reina grimaced when her mom looked away, softly leading her daughter towards the glass table in the terrace before settling Reina to sit down. The redhead immediately grabbed a small bagel, deciding to have breakfast right away to make everything faster. "So, tell me," Susana asked impatiently, leaving Reina to take a bigger bite, her mouth full as she stared at Susana's sparkling eyes, something rare these days.

The redhead felt bad then, knowing that her discomfort of talking about people she hadn't connected with yet was making their mother happy. But she didn't want to talk about these kids.

Susana waited until Reina swallowed her bite, taking a sip of orange juice before meeting her mother's look to hurry. "Well... They're normal, I suppose," she began, shrugging her shoulders as Susana's wide grin died off slowly until the woman furrowed her eyebrows. "I didn't really talk to them, you know."

"But why? I told you these kids need someone to look after them, and you're the sweetest girl I know."

Reina hated being put in a place of having to do something she didn't want to. She wanted the kids to live on with their lives while she lived her own. Her friends didn't care about them, more or less, and she knew she'd follow in their footsteps. "Okay, well, I was nice, I lent one guy my pen," she commented calmly, taking another bite while she avoided Susana's eyes, not wanting to tell the woman everything that had happened wrong. "The other two are as different as they can get. One definitely seems to have issues, but I don't judge."