// ten //

Free Minds

••••••

••••••

T H E S K E T C H E S O N T H E W A L L made Reina angry. Ever since that disastrous dinner, she felt like nothing she made was good enough. Like all her work had been seen by Alejandro and condemned bad. She stared at the wall, debating whether ripping the papers stuck to the wall off and starting per new would prove to be better. Reina didn't know.

One sketch ripped after another, Reina was left with a bare wall, breathing in and out as she glanced down at the crumbles of papers in her hands, some of those sketches her best work she had ever done. "Fuck," she mused, coming back to senses before putting the crumbles down, deciding to try and straighten the paper again. Mateo knocked on the door, having heard Reina's usual outbursts.

When she was creating, she was a perfectionist, wanting to be her best version, but with constant mind bugs of Alejandro judging her passion, it was hard for her. Mateo wanted to shoot his son-in-law for making Reina question her, in his eyes, amazing visions, her drawings drawn beautifully and the made garments fashionable. "Grapes?" Mateo asked curiously causing Reina to snap her head at the doorway.

Her grandpa stood there, holding a bowl of freshly bought green grapes, munching on them casually as she sighed deeply, returning to correct her made mistake. "No, thanks," the redhead mused, stretching the crumbled paper straight, seeing a sketch she had made with Ander present. He told her the dress would turn out beautifully if she made it so Reina smiled upon seeing the drawing.

Mateo entered her room, approaching her "work space" as he peaked over her shoulder at the drawings she had messed up during one of her "mind attacks". Such occasional thing horrified Mateo, he wanted Reina to be happy and better, but the girl was always stuck in her head, which was controlled by her excuse of a father. "This one's good," he pointed at the sketch she was looking so Reina mused back, imagining all the details she'd add while making it.

"I'm trying to find a design that I'd wear to the graduation party," she explained calmly, though her eyes were already settled on the sketch Ander had complimented. "This one will do just fine."

Mateo nodded, placing the plate on the desk as Reina clicked her tongue. "Hey, you'll wet my sketches," she mused, wanting to pick up the plate, but Mateo then leaned forward and kissed her head lovingly as she groaned, but smiled nevertheless. Mateo was good at giving love, but he still wasn't her dad, whose smile or at least acceptance she craved for.

"Get on with it, sweetheart," he teased, wrapping his arm around her neck as they both stared at her drawn work. "If making clothes doesn't work out for you, you'll be able to draw for a living. Make a portrait of me so I could hang it on my living room wall. I'll pay you handsomely."