Chapter 15 - Did I miss something?

Start from the beginning

His eyes soften a bit and the terrifying smile that was once present was transformed into a neutral resting frown. It wasn't an angry type. It was more contemplative than anything. Erwin had calmed down by now, taking in big gulps of air to bring his body back to homeostasis. He still managed to look amused as fuck (Glad I could put on a circus show for you). He didn't say anything though so I was kind of left in an awkward silence type of situation before Leonardo broke said situation by sighing wearily and interrogating me further. He had his pointer and thumb pinching the bridge of his nose, clearly in the I'm-done-with-this-bullshit sense.

"Mr. Poston was it?"

"Call me Nero boss sir."

"Right Nero. First of all, don't call me boss sir. I don't even know what that is. Secondly, when you gave that very summarised summary of the events earlier, were you being truly honest?"

"Yep (emphasis on the p because I've just given up on proper work etiquette at this point). As mentioned earlier, I have witnesses and videos to back up my claims. They all have the full transcript of what was said. She was pretty loud and I think I was as well by the end of it."

"Then in that case, who do you believe started this? Are you accusing Ms. Chase of it?"

I put my right index finger on my chin in contemplation for a bit before replying, "Well, if you're asking me specifically who I believed started it. It would be her. She treated the staff with utter disrespect before me and even then, I did not get myself involved since I believed I had no power to do so. But she came to me and asked, well ordered me to take her to you. I said I had no authority to do so and she didn't take it well. She then began threatening me and then I snapped."

"hmmm"

Ignoring the hum, I added on, "Now if you're asking without a biased point of view... I can't be clear who actually started. You could say we're both at fault since she clearly gave empty threats and I responded to the bait. I could've been professional and just... not snap. But hey I'm only human."

Leonardo scrutinised me the entire time, with a lot of thoughts obviously running through his head. He didn't look annoyed nor angry so I took it as an OK to press through and add more to my defence.

"Regardless, what I had said was completely out of line and should not have been said in the professional context, to your business partner's daughter no less. So I'm completely willing to take full responsibility – well half because the bitch is still at fault here – and deal with all the repercussions. I also understand that I'm most definitely going to be fired after this but if it's alright, can we deal with all the logistics and legal shit of the firing tomorrow? I wasn't kidding when I said I'm running only on adrenaline. I'm pretty sure I'm on the verge of collapse."

It seemed Leonardo didn't expect me to bring up the firing because I noticed him flinch a little when I mentioned it and saw his eyes open up a bit. Wait why does HE sound so shocked? He quickly took control of his emotions and went back to neutral. We stayed in a surprisingly comfortable silence after that. Leonardo was clearly thinking of something. So I left him be and once again looked up at the fairy lights.

They were still burning bright and I internally thanked them for keeping my secret a secret for a day longer. I focused on the very clear night sky to find that there were more speckles of stars than usual. I subconsciously wore a small smile in appreciation and thought to myself, god what I wouldn't do to just drive to the middle of nowhere and night gaze. I haven't done it in years and I honestly miss it. The appreciation put me in a sort of trance for only a short while because the trance was broken by the sound of... snickering?

I looked back down to find Erwin pointedly looking at Leo and sniggering at him. Oh right. He's still here. I forgot he existed for a while not going to lie. Leonardo on the other hand was shooting imaginary lasers at his friend and was wearing an... embarrassed scowl? Like he was caught doing something he wasn't meant to do? What was more uncharacteristic was that even though it's difficult to see, Leo's cheeks and ears were clearly redder than before I looked away. He also kind of looked... breathless? What on earth did I miss? Was there a fight that happened that I just happened to completely ignore? Leonardo gazed back to me, slightly flinching at my very befuddled look, ignored it and cleared his throat purposefully. Your majesty needs to speak now. Your very hot, delectable and arousing majesty.

"Well. I will agree on the fact that it indeed has been a very long day. So let's deal with the matter tomorrow. I'm giving you the day off but I still expect you to come to my office. I need you to go over everything in detail."

I blinked once. Then twice. Then rapidly blink with my mouth slightly agape. That confused the shit out of boss sir and he gave me a furrowed look. "Why are you looking at me like-"

"Am I not fired?"

Leo's breath hitched before he gave off a large exhale. "We'll discuss that tomorrow as well. For now, you're on a one day break."

"But sir... I completely acted out of line an- and I destroyed-"

"OH who CARES?!" It wasn't Leo who said that this time. I focused my attention on the other CEO who was now settled with boredom. I glowered at him for interrupting but he ignored it and further remarked, "I'm more interested in that Oddity of yours as well as how you know about my power? I don't exactly go around flaunting it. Unless you're a huge fan of mine and read one of my interviews?"

I mumbled "what a pretentious asshole" at the same time as Leo openly swore "sod off," directing it at Erwin.

Erwin chuckled in response and continued on. "No, but like seriously. What was that power and where did you learn to do that?"

I gave him a bored expression and plainly replied, "You were standing behind the door. You very much heard the explanation I gave to Beatrice. There's nothing more to it."

"Yeah but-"

All of a sudden someone's phone went off. The ringtone sounded familiar. Very familiar. And very unique. Oh, fuck it's my phone and it's him. Completely ignoring the two men in front of me, I got the not-cracked (wow) phone out of my pocket and stared at the lit screen, hoping that staring at it would make the caller ID change. But nope. It very clearly read Assden. I could feel the stares of the other company as I took a big gulp and picked up the phone.

I put it against my ear and said nothing at first. It was completely silent. Oh god, I hope this is a butt dial. Gathering up all the courage that hadn't run away yet, I spoke into the phone.

"Hello...?"