CH. 22 ~ The Botanist Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"What happened exactly to this member?" Captain doesn't turn to look at me directly because his gaze has narrowed down on a gruesome sight in front of us. The closer we get to Illoriant the better I see the lifeless figures swaying as the air blows. The piece of plywood they're attached to looks old and moldy, with many barnacles forming around it as it lies between two giant rocks protruding out of the water's surface and towering above us. A weathered rope is connected to these pieces of wood, hanging the remains of what I'm guessing are pirates that have been executed in the town's square. Even with the skin already decayed and cleaned off by the weather, and who knows what else, you can still see the terror these people died with. I look up at the sky, trying to focus my attention on something else, but it looks just as gloomy. As if warning us of a bad omen, the sky above us is a dark gray and downcast color. The closer we get to illoriant the darker the clouds become, warning us of an upcoming thunderstorm. I forget that Eye-patch is still next to me because of how silent he's fallen.

"They might not be as tough on crime as they are in Eohithra, but their punishments are 100x worse here," I jump slightly at his forlorn voice. It comes out broken and filled with sadness, betraying his facial sturdiness.

"Would you still protect me just as much if I were royalty?" That question seems to throw him off and make him look over in my direction.

"Well, yes. I mean I do already protect two royals who--,"

"No, I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about me. Captain as controlled as you are with your expressions I know you didn't want me here. None of the crew does. They might say they enjoy my company but I can assure you it does not sit well with all of you that I am a member of this crew." I state bluntly cutting off his words. Unable to provide me with a response, I nod, already understanding what that means for me. If it were a matter of life or death I'd be the last one he'd try to save.

~

It's already noon and we've docked perfectly without any suspicions or setbacks. In fact it all happened so smoothly. Almost too smoothly. Either way Captain decided that he was going to send me into town first, so that I wouldn't be out late gathering the ingredients I have listed. The only problem is that he's sending me with Mingi.

"Sun-Mi, hurry up we don't have all your time!" He hollers at me as I walk towards him, Captain, Woo, Seonghwa, and Yunho. I roll my eyes making it as obvious as possible so that they can see my disdain for who Captain has paired me up with. To be honest, I don't have much of a problem with Mingi, it's just that... I'd prefer to spend my time with Yeosang, or Seonghwa. Or even Wooyoung.

"Eye-patch, are you sure I can't go into town with someone else?" I whine crossing my arms with a childish pout. Trying to make the biggest puppy eyes I can, he ignores them, waving me off.

"Mingi is the best at bartering for lower prices and the only one who won't be busy." Still not giving up I scoot closer to Seonhgwa slipping my hand in his and hugging it.

"Can I at least take Seonghwa? Pretty pleaseeeee?" I beg. Wooyoung eyes him a bit jealously, but the young cook only seems to flush a bright red at my sudden request. Yunho smirks, nudging Mingi and Captain notices it too even though he tries to hide his surprise.

"Seonghwa, you seem pretty red, are you ill?" Captain teases him to which the black-haired male stiffly coughs, trying to regain composure.

"Stop that," He orders, the rest snicker.

"I'm just asking, I mean you did seem like you could faint a second ago," Eye-patch pushes further.

"Hongjoong."

"Alright, alright, I'll stop. Mingi and Sun-Mi, you two can start heading into town, and if you really feel the need to take an extra person with you then you can take Yunho," I slump my shoulders while Mingi jumps up and down excitedly with Yunho, looking like overly-enthusiastic giraffes. I slump my shoulder in defeat, feeling Seonghwa untangle our hands to pat my head.