Chapter 22 | Everything melts.

+*+*+*+*+*+*
"I know these will all be stories someday."
-Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of being a Wallflower.
👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹
Chapter 22 | Everything melts.

Due to something very last minute and important that I wasn't privy to, Hunter and Eames miss school today.

Luke did not love me waking him up for a ride to school. He'd dropped like a sack of potatoes on the couch and was asleep in record time. This is the usual for Luke and he'd frowned as I poked his face after I'd showered from our run and dressed for the day.

I'd avoided the torture mobile in the morning courtesy of a grumpy Lucas but I know for a fact he will not come to pick me up.

I shudder at the mere thought of getting on the torture mobile after swim practice.

I hadn't been given much information about why they were both absent, -which I didn't advise-; I just cannot believe I'm about to get into the torture mobile. I visibly shiver.

As I'm slinging my swim kit over my shoulder to head to the pool, my phone vibrates.

Window boy: I know you hate getting on the bus so I had Wes drive my car to the school for you. Use the spare key and get home safely.

In the little things is how he stole pieces of my heart and this just took a big ol chunk.

Archer.H: Are you serious? You didn't have to. I was literally just dreading getting on it. Thank you so much.

Window boy: I wanted to. Just don't wreck my car, I will be very upset. Do that then we're good.

Archer.H: I will do my best. 🙈 Again, thank you.

I'm smiling at my phone when a certain voice cuts through my happiness.

"Well, well, well, I don't think I've actually seen you smiling." She flips her platinum blonde locks. Just saying: she has seen me smiling.

I can feel my phone vibrate in my hand but I ignore it as I fasten my duffel bag securely on my left shoulder. Replying to Megan takes too many brain cells. Multitasking is completely out of the question.

"Can I help you with something?" I choose to ask instead of indulging her remark.

"As a matter of fact, yes you can. I just came back from lunch and I saw Hunters car in the parking lot and since you're always stuck to him like a leach, I thought who'd know best if he's back in school than his stalker." Wow.

I laugh. "Thank goodness, I thought you were about to say something stupid." Rolling my eyes I brush past her as I head straight for the pool. At this point, I'm starting to believe she's mean for sport. Bored and with nothing better to do. If only she'd let me teach her ways to channel all that energy and time into something productive. For example: I eat when I'm bored and sometimes I just do it cause I like chewing and tasting. On both instances, I won't even be hungry. Productivity at it's finest.

After we're done with land training and a couple laps of various strokes in the pool, Coach Lewis lets us hang out in the water as she leisurely floats above the water. It's one of those rare occasions that she's decided to join us in the water. Must be a great day for her.

When our time ends, I change out of my swimming costume, waiting for Brie and Dré as they get dressed noticeably slower than me.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. Pulling it out, the first thing I notice is the message from Hunter above the one I'd ignored before. Too many braincells lost.