Chapter 03 | Something different.

+*+*+*+*+*+*
"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."
    -Niklaus Mikaelson, The Originals
👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹
Chapter 03 | Something different

It amazes me how time seems to just fly by. It doesn't care who or what you are. It just goes not sparing a seconds glance behind it, at what once was. Math flew by and I remember Mrs. Davis assigning us work, I jotted it down. I went through the motions but I wasn't thinking them through. The same applied for when I walked into Art, I share this class with Aubrey and Audrey but I don't remember ever seeing them. Did they ditch? Everything felt like it was in fast forward and soon enough the day had ended with the chime of the bell. Who ditches Art.

It takes me less than a minute to realize that I'm no longer in homeostasis. Could I call it out of my comfort zone or better yet broken schedule. Whatever it is, it's not normal.

Normally, right about now, I would be walking into the library to sit quietly, get some work done, get some reading done and count the seconds until it was 14:45. That was when I usually left the library for the bus stop.

Today is -at the lack of a better word- grotesque. Currently, I'm standing by the bleachers with Audrey beside me, scanning the stands for a place to occupy. It's odd how so many people are actually here excluding those training. It's definitely more than I expected.

With my hand held in hers, we climb up the stairs as she decided on a spot. I couldn't care less but she was the expert so I had no say in this matter. Her face lit up when her eyes landed on the middle row where all the shade was concentrated. Pulling me directly under it, she plopped down, pulling me down with her.

"Perfect," she breathed now scanning the field from her vantage point. I joined her.

Everyone was sitting in little groups. It seemed natural to them as more joined the random array of groups and they chatted amongst themselves. Don't they have homes to go to? They laughed at each others jokes, gossiped and swooned over the pool of testosterone on the field.

I can see Mason doing his warmup routine along with his teammates already in his full gear sans helmet but no sign of Hunter. What was he trying out for? I scan the field again in hopes to catch a glimpse of him the second time. I don't. Was he lying about trying ....

"Hey guys, why aren't we over at the baseball field?" Aubrey interrupts my thought as she stands beside us with a confused look on her face.

"We don't know anyone by that field, Brie. It'll seem like we're trolling for something, which we're not." Audrey answers. Clearly, I have no idea where they normally sit.

"What about Hunter?" Aubrey inquires, shifting her weight to her right leg and staring intently at Audrey.

"What about him?" she blurts completely oblivious to what Aubrey was implying. Hunter plays baseball. Which explains why I couldn't see him here. It's fitting now that I think about it. He's fit and lean with evident muscle but it wasn't like that of a football player. His muscles didn't look like they were on steroids.

"He's trying out for the baseball team Dré," she says shifting her weight to her left leg, "Wouldn't it be nice to support him?" she adds glancing at the field, specifically at Mason, who senses her stare, turns to smile and wave at us, mostly her as she returns his affection and focuses on finishing whatever play they were now practicing.