Chapter 19 | Furlough.

+*+*+*+*+*+*
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end but it is perhaps, the end of the beginning."
-Harry Hart, Kingsman: The Golden Circle.
👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹
Chapter 19 | Furlough.

“Is it true?” he murmurs, his eyes searching my face as though he is intent on finding out the golden ratio just by looking at my facial reaction.

I love how at ease he is when no one is watching him. When he doesn’t have to put on a show, he laughs with gusto, he lets his hair get to levels of unruly I didn’t think were possible, he tells me information in little bits and pieces taking the scenic route whilst making his way to his point and on this particular trip, he’s decided to punish me with his voice from time to time to fill in the rare bouts of silence.

We’re driving at an average speed but who cares; we’re in no particular hurry to get anywhere. Clearing my mind is definitely what I need right now. Everything is happening all at once for the both of us and currently, my biggest worry is for my own safety when it should probably be any of my family members finding out my new extracurricular activity.

Shaking my head no, I look out the window as I watch the scenery go by. Trees of different lengths, shapes, sizes and types stay rooted as we zoom past and birds of many feathers’ flying away at the slight hum of disturbance of the car zooming past. “That’s not what I heard,” he pokes further as I notice a 1km away sign. He’s having fun at the prospect that he might know my middle name. All the information he has right now is hearsay and suggestions from his mediocre detective work. “If I guess it right, will you let me know?” There’s no way he could ever get it even with his absolute knowledge of the very first letter.

“Sure.”

Until he pulls into the parking lot of the small mall, he throws guess after guess after guess at me. The guesses ranged from Sophia to Serena to the worst of all, Stephanie. Really? I shudder. Do I look like a Stephanie to this boy? I roll my eyes at that one and deeply exhale opening my door.

Pulling on his cap, he joins me as I walk into the almost deserted mall. This place is basically paradise for both Hunter and I.

I’m pulled into a store where I immediately grab a trolley and start pushing it. I don’t get very far before Hunter stops me, hops into the trolley, makes himself comfortable sitting criss cross apple sauce facing me. I roll my eyes and push him.

“I know what you’re thinking; you’re jealous I thought of it first before you did,” he fixes his adidas cap on his head, grinning triumphantly. He’s got a point.

“Of course I am.” I roll my eyes again, turning us into the snack isle. By the end of the day I’m going to have a migraine from how many times I’m going to roll my eyes if he continues on like this.

“It’s your turn to drive me around,” he says whilst pulling chips into the trolley with him. “Now push me to the oreos,” he demands, settling back into a good laid back position. Ignoring him, I browse the section next to the chips intently then grab 2 boxes of toblerone after Hunter starts adding more to his chip collection. I chuck the boxes at his chest and he chuckles.

I start pushing again as he starts to snag more snack foods from the shelves as we pass them. The trolley is a quarter full by the time I push him into the drinks isle. Grabbing a couple fruit juices, I let Hunter go wild as he pulls everything colourful to join him in his impromptu transport system. He’s like a little child in a candy store.